Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

POW of the Boers-Gloucester Regt 6 years 10 months ago #54103

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Evening Frank

I do like the Natal, OFS, Transvaal combination, a very fine medal.

Looking at the 1600 men released on September 5th 66 units are represented, only three units; Gloucesters (272), Royal Irish Rifles (453) and IY (304) numbered greater than 100. Like the Gloucester's the Royal Irish were captured at Nicholson's Nek, the IY were captured at Lindley. It is known the Boers were pleased to capture the British Aristocracy at Lindley and held onto a small number of them after Sept 5th as they thought they maybe bargaining chips. Perhaps they took equal delight in the captures at Nicholson's Nek - but why?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

POW of the Boers-Gloucester Regt 6 years 9 months ago #54305

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Meurig,
Thank you, yes, it is a pleasing medal, but, a very typical one, with good clear ghost dates and I certainly never thought they were anything special when I originally collected Anglo Boer War medals, I'm sorry that I don't have enough camera to do it justice, perhaps I'll have to nip down to Port Elizabeth to borrow the camera of another forum member.
Do you remember, even just two decades ago, how easy it was to just get hold of simple text book medals to these sort of men, many of the provincial dealers listed them and they were also plentiful in the two major London salerooms, for only a modest outlay, very happy days indeed.

I honesty do not know what was going through the enemies mind at this point in time and I can only think that they were, indeed, being considered as bargaining chips, they had certainly been putting out feelers for peace terms, I am compelled to assume that they had realised, rather late in day, just what was likely to happen to themselves by that point in time, but, of course, by then, the Rand's wealth, was rather closer than it had been and the OVS was no longer in the equation.
In fact I have never really understood why the enemy chose the course that it did, although, to actually be pushed into that awful situation by the cabal of businessmen and a vengeful War Office is not something I would wish upon anyone, it leaves a really appalling bad taste.
To be threatened repeatedly, actually forming a defensive alliance with the OVS Government was common sense, the War Office simply did not want the expense of fighting that country, but, to then issue an ultimatum, escalating matters further was not.
To then cross the borders of both Colonies with such a small force was one thing, but, to then besiege and actually deliberately start shelling hospitals was quite another altogether and it was at that point, they had sealed, not only their own fate, but, the fate of so many of their own families.
With their band new weapons, a defensive stance would have been what I would have opted to do, if they had done that, the course of South African history may have changed.
Again, thanks and regards Frank

POW of the Boers-Gloucester Regt 6 years 9 months ago #54308

• Frank Kelley
Sorry Meurig, the best I can do I'm afraid, I will have to invite Rory up to champagne, smoked salmon and cucumber sandwiches, in the hope that he will bring his camera along too!
Attachments:

POW of the Boers-Gloucester Regt 6 years 9 months ago #54312

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
Ha Ha not a bad attempt at all Frank.:)

Make those cucumber sandwiches crustless and I might be tempted to travel

POW of the Boers-Gloucester Regt 6 years 9 months ago #54316

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Perfectly good pictures Frank thank you, the ghost dates are very clear - a "Joy" indeed!
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

POW of the Boers-Gloucester Regt 6 years 9 months ago #54345

• Frank Kelley
Gentlemen, I'm not disappointed, but, it is just the time taken and frustration in managing to get clear images, I really struggle, my little camera is okay, but, once I put it in attachment mode, so I can post on here, without resizing, it becomes much harder to use the auto focus and tracking on any close up.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.581 seconds