TOPIC:

Medals to the ILH (Imperial Light Horse) 4 years 8 months ago #64905

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
The Spink catalogue has half a page of write-up on the ILH which ends with the statement about the demise of Scott Chisolme. This is immediately followed by Richard Caton Woodville's famous picture of Shurlock during the cavalry charge but there is no mention of the charge.

The Imperial Light Horse (I.L.H.), a regiment composed mainly of Uitlanders, quickly won the approbation of the military establishment, whilst The Times spoke of a ‘corps d’elite’. Ten of its officers had been members of the Reform Committee and when recruiting for the I.L.H. started in September 1899, over 2000 men applied:

‘The methods of selection were drastic and only the very best in every sense - horsemanship, shooting, character, physique - were accepted.’

The regiment was commanded by Colonel John James Scott Chisholme, a Regular Officer of the 5th Lancers, who agreed with General Hunter that they were the finest body of men that he had seen during his service but it was obvious that cavalry drill would be something of a problem:

‘The first occasion the Regiment paraded as such before their new Colonel was on the well-known Fox Hills, Pietermaritzburg. When the order was given - ‘Prepare to mount! Mount! - chaos resulted, the horses moving in all directions. The Colonel, raising his arms to heaven, exclaimed:

“My God! My God! My God!” (The Story of the Imperial Light Horse, refers).

Whatever the drill problems, the Imperial Light Horse became the most distinguished Irregular Regiment of the War, winning four Victoria Crosses and, unusually, being presented with a King’s Colour. At Elandslaagte, the regiment’s first battle, Scott Chisholme was killed leading a charge at the head of his men.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the ILH (Imperial Light Horse) 4 years 8 months ago #64922

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I wonder what the connection is between the famous 5th Lancer Trumpeter and the ILH.:unsure:

djb wrote: The Spink catalogue has half a page of write-up on the ILH which ends with the statement about the demise of Scott Chisolme. This is immediately followed by Richard Caton Woodville's famous picture of Shurlock during the cavalry charge but there is no mention of the charge.

The Imperial Light Horse (I.L.H.), a regiment composed mainly of Uitlanders, quickly won the approbation of the military establishment, whilst The Times spoke of a ‘corps d’elite’. Ten of its officers had been members of the Reform Committee and when recruiting for the I.L.H. started in September 1899, over 2000 men applied:

‘The methods of selection were drastic and only the very best in every sense - horsemanship, shooting, character, physique - were accepted.’

The regiment was commanded by Colonel John James Scott Chisholme, a Regular Officer of the 5th Lancers, who agreed with General Hunter that they were the finest body of men that he had seen during his service but it was obvious that cavalry drill would be something of a problem:

‘The first occasion the Regiment paraded as such before their new Colonel was on the well-known Fox Hills, Pietermaritzburg. When the order was given - ‘Prepare to mount! Mount! - chaos resulted, the horses moving in all directions. The Colonel, raising his arms to heaven, exclaimed:

“My God! My God! My God!” (The Story of the Imperial Light Horse, refers).

Whatever the drill problems, the Imperial Light Horse became the most distinguished Irregular Regiment of the War, winning four Victoria Crosses and, unusually, being presented with a King’s Colour. At Elandslaagte, the regiment’s first battle, Scott Chisholme was killed leading a charge at the head of his men.

Medals to the ILH (Imperial Light Horse) 4 years 8 months ago #64997

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The QSA to Sergeant Murphy with clasps Relief of Mafeking, Elandslaagte, Defence of Ladysmith and Transvaal just sold for a hammer price of £1,000.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey, QSAMIKE

Medals to the ILH (Imperial Light Horse) 4 years 8 months ago #65004

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
David
ILH medals seem to sell well, which is gratifying (and well deserved in my opinion).
Regards
Brett

Medals to the ILH (Imperial Light Horse) 4 years 8 months ago #65006

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
They always sell well, Brett, especially for engagements in the early days of the war.

Spink also sold QSA (1) Transvaal to 347 Prooper H T Harding who died of disease 6 April 1901. This sold for a hammer price of £140.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the ILH (Imperial Light Horse) 4 years 7 months ago #65518

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Currently available on BoB:

QSA to 948 Trooper P HELFRICK IMPERIAL LIGHT HORSE. One bar for Relief of Mafeking is loose and as this being a un-researched medal could maybe have been added.

QSA (3) CC OFS RoL + RoM loose. The first three are verified on WO100250p42. RoL from Colonial Scouts (F Sqn). Also served Bethune's MI (Trooper 27) earning Natal.

Percy.

KSA (2) on WO100/361p102 from 1st ILH.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.833 seconds