Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The owner of the Royal Hotel in the Siege of Ladysmith - C.J. Jones 7 years 3 months ago #50566

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2121
Thank you Brett

Herewith are some more photos in connection with the family.

Barlow House - the Jones family residence - it gave rise (to subsequent generations) of the double barrelled "Barlow-Jones"

A note from the Magistrate referring to the re-opening of the Royal Hotel in early 1900 just after the siege was lifted.

The Jones brothers

A "flyer" promoting the Royal Hotel and a visit to Spioenkop!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The owner of the Royal Hotel in the Siege of Ladysmith - C.J. Jones 7 years 3 months ago #50635

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Quite frankly Rory, I think it only quite right and proper, that you feel your self fortunate, it is a particularly nice medal, moreover, a quite significant example for any Ladysmith collection.

Rory wrote: I count myself fortunate to be the custodian of what I deem to be a historically important medal - certainly in the context of the Ladysmith Siege. Charles Jones owned both the Royal as well as the Crown Hotels in Ladysmith at the time of the siege and was a leading citizen in the town before, during and after the Boer War. One can only imagine the luminaries he would have interacted with and who can forget that one of Long Tom's shells burst into the hotel killing poor Dr Stark on the pavement outside. There is to this day a plaque on the spot of his demise.

Charles James Jones

Lieutenant, Newcastle Mounted Rifles – Anglo Zulu War
Sergeant, (Ward Leader) Ladysmith Town Guard – Anglo Boer War

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasp Defence of Ladysmith to Sergt. C.J. Jones, Ladysmith Town Gd.

Charles Jones was born the son of Samuel and Mary Anne Jones (born Jacobs) in Pietermaritzburg in the Colony of Natal on 30 November 1852. (Some sources have this as King William’s Town.) He was the eldest of five sons, being followed by Samuel Benjamin Jones, Reuben John Jones, Norman Frederick Jones and David Jones.

In 1854 the family was resident in the Fort Napier area of Pietermaritzburg where Samuel Jones was a Corporal on the staff of the Cape Mounted Rifles. The Regiment was garrisoned there and was deployed to put down trouble with native tribes in the Umkomaas Division, where Henry Francis Fynn was Magistrate.

By 1863 the family had moved, with the Regiment, back to King William’s Town in the Cape Colony. Thereafter, Samuel Jones must have taken his family to Ixopo in Natal because it is there that their fourth son was born. By now Charles James Jones was a young man of 18 years. It is not known when Samuel Jones took his discharge from the C.M.R. but he decided to settle in the small frontier town of Ladysmith. There he added to his half-pay pension by operating as a Glazier. Charles, together with two of his brothers received schooling with the Reverend Lewnham at his little schoolhouse near the Anglican church beside the Klip River, which runs through Ladysmith circa 1870.

By 1872 Charles was apprenticed in the milling trade in Newcastle, a town some 60 miles distant from Ladysmith. By the time his father passed away he was 20 years of age and a promising and capable young man seeing service in the Langilabalele Rebellion of 1873 with the Buffalo Mounted Guards.

There was time for romance as well - on 20 December 1875 Mr. Lucas, the Resident Magistrate, Klip River Division, wrote to the Honourable Colonial Secretary forwarding the Declaration of C.J. Jones and E. Adams together with the Special Licence of Marriage for His Excellency's signature "there being no objection to such licence being granted"

[/size]

The Colonial Secretary replied on 27 December 1875 as follows, "Resident Magistrate, Ladysmith - Licence signed, herewith. You will on no account issue this licence or allow it to take effect in any way until you have procured the cost of the stamp and have affixed and cancelled the proper stamp. This should be done before forwarding the licence for signature. Advise me when it has been done. F.N.B. Colonial Secretary"

This impediment dispensed with he married, on 3 January 1876, Elizabeth Adams at her father's house in Ladysmith. The marriage certificate reflected that he was a Clerk by occupation and resident at nearby Wakkerstroom. Between them they raised 12 children - seven sons, Walter William; Charles Jesse; Herbert Reuben; Douglas Barlow; Otto Barlow; Victor Barlow and Leonard Barlow Jones. There were also five daughters, May Lilian Anderson; Ellen Ruth; Olive Laura Brown, Norah Elvina and Elizabeth Annie Jones.

During the next six years Charles became a leading figure in the frontier garrison town of Newcastle and on 11 June 1878 he was gazetted second in command of the Newcastle Mounted Rifles of which the acting Resident Magistrate, Captain Bradstreet was Officer Commanding. In December 1878 the Newcastle Mounted Rifles joined the Natal Carbineers and Buffalo Border Guard at Helpmekaar as No. 3 column concentrated for the Zulu War. A family member wrote, many years later wrote that,

“Charles’ brother Samuel met the Newcastle Mounted Rifles on their way to Helpmekaar. Jones was furious with his younger brother and set about organising a safe job for him going directly to General Wood, a dear old man, who released young Samuel and paid him out. With a pocket full of money Sam went home to collect his horse. In an awful rage “my brother put a further spoke in my wheel by selling my horse, saddle and bridle”. In a diary entry for 20 January 1879 Sam wrote, “In camp near Rorke’s Drift. Acted as videttes until called in to join the main column. Horse sprained its front leg – bound it with turkey red. Gave everyone a good laugh” the entry for the next day – 21 January read thus, “Enemy sighted. Paraded in front of tents. Volunteers called for – I stepped tow paces forward but was told by my brother (Charles) to step back into the ranks as my horse was lame.”

A day later, on 22 January 1879 the Newcastle Mounted Rifles were with Colonel Glynn’s No. 3 column where the main body, it is said, were seven to ten miles in advance of the camp which was protected only by those volunteers whose horses were too weak to have joined with the main body. It was estimated that the Zulu force at Isandhlwana was 10 000 strong. Charles Jones does not appear to have been among the 14 members of the NMR who saw action at Isandhlwana. Of the 14 - seven perished including Captain Bradstreet, which meant that Jones was immediately in charge of the Regiment. At 2’o clock on that fateful afternoon the dire news that the camp at Isandhlwana had been obliterated reached him. The column turned and marched back to spend a gruesome night amidst the “awful carnage”. Again we turn to Charles’ brother Samuel for a description of what they encountered at Isandhlwana:

“In the morning too we found we had literally been lying in blood, for we were peeling cakes of it and mud from our mackintoshes. And the stench! It was awful! I can still smell it at times. Some things remind me of it, for instance a sweet potato that has been cooked when it was just beginning to go bad. And when I smell such things, I become quite ill”

Between 23 – 28 January 1879 Jones, now O.C., and his remaining men worked to entrench the three great zinc supply stores on the heights of Helpmekaar where they had made their way. Tired, thirsty and filthy, they lived in daily expectation of an attack by the Zulus. On 29 January 1879 the Newcastle Mounted Rifles were ordered to Fort Pine, whence, with the Buffalo Border Guard, they were to patrol the exposed frontier of the Buffalo River for many months.

In September 1879 Charles Jones took his discharge from the Newcastle Mounted Rifles. He served as a Lieutenant in the Basuto War of 1880-81 and as a Transport-Stockrider during the 1st Anglo-Boer War of the same period. He is said to have carried despatches behind enemy lines for Sir Evelyn Wood and to have owned a Transport and Forwarding Agency business at Newcastle, Harrismith, Dundee and Ladysmith. For a time he kept the hostelry at Ingagane before moving back to Newcastle and then on to Ladysmith where he was to make his last home.

On 8 November 1883, Jones, in his capacity as Poundmaster, wrote to the Colonial Secretary as follows, "Sir - I humbly beg leave to tender my resignation as Poundkeeper in Ladysmith" – the reasons for this was never advanced so we, the reader, can only speculate as to why.

Three years later the Jones family was making the headlines - In a newspaper article titled ‘Town devastated in 1886 floods’ mention is made that,
‘But the most fearful position was that of Mr. C. Jones’ family. He had lately built a two-storied house, such a pretty looking building with balcony in front. His wife who was lately confined was in an upper room. When Mr. Jones found his place surrounded with water he got all his children together but it wasn’t long before part of his outbuilding fell, then another and another portion. Scaring the children they ran about in their fright in every direction. It was impossible for him to go after all of them. He got a rope and tied them all together and to himself and wife feeling it would be better for all to be taken than one or two left to mourn with the rest. The Jones family scrambled to the highest point of the ruined house where they sang until they were rescued.’

Having safely navigated his way out of potential disaster Jones next requested lawyer J.J.Field to obtain the issue of Title to Erf No. 7 A.A. Ladysmith. This was forwarded for the Colonial Secretary's signature and Seal of the Colony on 12 July 1887. In his accompanying letter Field stated that, 'Mr. Jones has erected substantial buildings on this piece of land." On 5 August 1887 Field followed up with a letter to the Surveyor General stating that he would 'be glad to receive the Title Deeds of the property referred to in the event of His Excellency the Governor having signed them. Mr. Jones requires the documents urgently for a special purpose, which must be my excuse for troubling you in this matter.'

It is not known when Jones purchased the Royal Hotel in Ladysmith but he was the Proprietor in 1898 just prior to the outbreak of the Anglo Boer War. He also bought the Crown Hotel further down the street as well and was thus the owner of both establishments during the siege.

October 1899 saw the outbreak of the Anglo Boer War and, following on from the battles of Talana and Elandslaagte, a depleted Imperial force retired on Ladysmith. Jones enlisted with the rank of Sergeant (No. 8) with the Ladysmith Town Guard and took part in the operations in defence of the town as Leader of Ward 3 (which also included Ward 4) earning himself the Queen’s South Africa Medal with Defence of Ladysmith clasp. His eldest son, Walter William Jones, a Butcher, served with him. He was also an Alderman and Deputy Mayor of Ladysmith at the time. An article appeared in The Ladysmith Bombshell as follows,

PR0POSED PRESENTATION TO MR. COUNCILLOR JONES.A proposal has now taken shape for making some presentation to Mr. Jones, the worthy host of the Royal, on his retiring (of course temporarily) from the active pursuits of business, and in recognition of the excellent services he has rendered to the legion of war correspondents and the public in general during the siege of Ladysmith. At a largely – attended meeting held at the Royal last evening, Mr. Melton – Prior in the chair, it was unanimously decided to form a committee to consider what steps should be taken to further the recognition of Mr. Jones’s service during the time mentioned. Mr. Rena kindly agreed to act as hon. sec. Mr. Jones wishes it known that upon the occasion of his forty – seventh birthday, which event takes place on the 30th instant, the hotel will be reopened for a short time in the evening. Any British friend will receive a warm welcome, and the auspicious occasion will be marked by the distribution of some dozen cases of champagne, which, after a good deal of adroitness, has been specially saved for the purpose. Mr. Jones has not gone to Intombi’s Spruit, but simply resting a few days at his rural retreat.

On 12 November 1902, with good labour in short supply, Jones addressed a letter to the Colonial Secretary in Pietermaritzburg as follows, "Sir - Excuse my troubling but you will confer a great favour if you will give me any information how to procure Emigrants from St. Helena, assisted or otherwise.

We have the greatest difficulty in getting domestic servants, the Indians claiming wages far in excess of what they are worth, and very independent at that. I should require 1 Cook, 1 Head Waiter, 5 Waiters and 2 Stablemen. Two of the above might be married men, if no incumbrences (children, the women to serve as bedroom servants)

Any particulars as to wages, cost of getting out or who to apply through will be thankfully received. I remain Sir Yours respectfully Chas. J. Jones"

This was followed by a letter from Jones, dated 22 November 1902 to the Principal Under Secretary saying that "I have to thank you for your letter of the 20th instant as also for the trouble taken in writing to Saint Helena - and trust that a favourable reply will be the result."

That the reply was favourable can be in no doubt as, on 20 December 1902, Jones received a letter via the Principal Under Secretary from The Castle, St. Helena stating that the Governor there would be glad to give any assistance he could in the matter. He added that, if the Natal Government could aid immigration from St. Helena as it does in the Cape Colony, he was confident that there would be many applicants for employment in the Natal Colony. He went on to say that the class of Emigrants would consist for the greater part of domestic servants, ordinary labourers and farm labourers. If boatmen are required there are a limited number available"

On 5 February 1908 Jones, writing in his capacity as the Chairman of the Ladysmith & District Licensed Victuallers' Association, took up the cudgels with a letter to Mr. Carter, Esq. Member of the Legislative Assembly, Pietermaritzburg as follows, "I am instructed by the Committee of the above Association to ask you if you will be good enough to interview them when next visiting Ladysmith with regard to the enclosed copy of letters and the disability of the travelling public in their relation to Hotel Keepers. If so can you say on what day you will be in Ladysmith and arrange a time and place. Thanking you in anticipation...

On 23 June 1910 whilst still a member of the Local Board and of the Ladysmith Corporation, Charles Jones took ill and resigned from positions of authority. He passed away at his home, Barlow House, aged 57 years and 6 months survived by his wife and all twelve children.

His obituary read, in part, as follows: ‘With regret (writes our Ladysmith correspondent) the demise is recorded of Mr. Charles James Jones, the respected proprietor of the Royal Hotel, the son of one of the earlier Colonists and himself a familiar figure in the old posting days. Deceased who was 58 years of age succumbed on Wednesday afternoon, after a long and painful illness, but passed away peacefully surrounded by the members of his family. He was a prominent member of the Siege Club, and was always to the fore in promoting social functions and entertainments for the young and the needy. It was at the Royal Hotel that many officers and the majority of the Press correspondents stayed, and where Dr. Stark was killed beneath the verandah of the hotel. Deceased was a prominent member of the Masonic Order. In the days of postcart travelling “Charlie” Jones was a household word and travellers staying for the night made a point of spending an hour or two with deceased in chatting about the old days, of which he could tell many moving tales of adventure by flood and field. Like many men deceased was given to not letting his left hand know what the right hand did and a somewhat curt manner belied a warm heart. His silent sympathy and active help have been forthcoming again and again as many have subsequently discovered. At the Siege Club and other functions he was particularly solicitous that the little ones should be cared for and he took an active and practical part in making the rising generation happy. To his sorrowing widow, sons and daughters, tender and deep sympathy is recorded, and in all parts of Natal regret will be felt at the demise of sterling and well known Colonist. The funeral took place on Thursday at 4’o clock.’

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

The owner of the Royal Hotel in the Siege of Ladysmith - C.J. Jones 6 years 2 weeks ago #57919

• daleschultz
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Rory,

interesting article about CJ Jones.

I am interested in the ownership of the Royal Hotel in Ladysmith as I have some conflicting information that has arisen through some family tree research. I am wondering if conflict of data arises from the differences between 'owner' and 'proprietor', etc.

My information indicates that one William Marshall Arnold owned or ran the hotel and I have evidence of this from both before and after the war.

First, there is a Natal supreme court record of a court case between the town of Ladysmith and W.M. Arnold from 1889
It can be found in Natal Law Reports: Cases Decided in the Natal Supreme Court, Volume 19 on google books. It refer to Arnold as the Hotel and Bar keeper.:
1898-11-25
WM Arnold v Local Board of Ladysmith

Summons Practice Plaint Local Board disqualification of

A sworn deposition is unnecessary in the case of an offence triable in the Magistrate's Court but summons may be issued on a Plaint

The disqualification of a member of a Local Board does not disqualify the whole Board or render invalid its acts
(Before Gallwey CJ Mason J and Fixnemore J)
 WM Arnold was summoned in the Magistrate's Court for the Klip River Division for a contravention of Section 65 of Act 38 of 1896
The summons was as follows:
 To CH Hendley Sergt NP Acting Messenger of the Court Summon Willam Marshall Arnold of Ladysmith Hotel and Bar Keeper that he personally appear before this Court at Ladysmith on the 21st October 1898 at 10 'o clock in the forenoon then to answer and abide the judgment of this Court upon the complaint and information of the Local Board of the township of Ladysmith that the said WM Arnold is guilty of the crime or offence of contravening Section 65 Act 38 1896 In that on or about the 15th October 1898 and at the Boyal Hotel premises in Murchison Street Ladysmith he being then the holder of a Hotel Bar License for the said premises for the sale of intoxicating liquor did wrongfully and unlawfully sell or keep his Bar or Buffet premises open for the sale of intoxicating liquors and did supply persons namely James Cairns of Ladysmith and Sergeant Lloyd of the Royal Irish Rifles with certain intoxicating liquors to be drunk on the aforesaid licensed premises between the hours of 11 'o clock at night and 6 'o clock in the morning the aforesaid persons not being sleeping or boarding on his hotel premises and to produce his liquor license and deliver the same to the Magistrate on the day of hearing

Serve on the said defendant a copy of this summons and then return to this Court on that day what you have done thereon

Given under my hand at Ladysmith this 17th day of October 1898 
(Signed) HJ Colenbrander
 Clerk of the Court 
He was found guilty, appealed and had his appeals denied.

Then after the war, there is a photo postcard of the hotel with the staff posing outside, and the back of the card contains new year greetings for 1912 from Mr and Mrs WM Arnold. This photo can be seen at Royal Hotel Ladysmith https://molegenealogy.blogspot.co.za/2018/03/royal-hotel-ladysmith-natal-1912.html
The building in the post card matches what can be seen there today.

Family tradition states:

...had Hotel in ladysmith built - Royal Hotel.
Managed Hotel during Boer War
During siege of Ladysmith he left (? something secret) - wife left with children to look after hotel

You say:
>It is not known when Jones purchased the Royal Hotel in Ladysmith but he was the Proprietor in 1898

So, I am wondering what the source is for Jones being proprietor and if that meant he owned it or was it leased from Arnold or vice versa...!

In 1910 he was referred to as "the respected proprietor of the Royal Hotel"

Could it be that Arnold had to surrender his license and then sold it or leased it to Jones in 1898? It is strange that Arnold and his family are still (or again) running the hotel in 1912 but perhaps they took over again after Jones' death in 1910....
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

The owner of the Royal Hotel in the Siege of Ladysmith - C.J. Jones 6 years 2 weeks ago #57920

• Rory
  • Away
Dear Dale

I don't know if am going to be of much help in your quest to determine the difference between Owner and Proprietor. What I can do is append (below) various pieces of correspondence I may not have included in my initial story. I have also gone to the extent of attaching a couple of pages from William Arnold's Estate File which clearly shows that there was a business relationship between the Jones family and that of Arnold.

It would appear that Charles James Jones son, Jesse, had borrowed money from Arnold which was repaid in installments detailed in one of the attachments.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Regards

Rory

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, daleschultz

The owner of the Royal Hotel in the Siege of Ladysmith - C.J. Jones 6 years 2 weeks ago #57922

• daleschultz
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks so much for that Rory!

Would it be possible for you to mail me the rest of the Arnold estate file? It is of great interest to his family.

The sister of WM Arnold, Julia Annie Arnold married Gustav Lütkens and the Lütkens family ran a store in Dundee. If ever you see anything related to Lütkens, I would be extremely pleased to see it.

My 3rd cousin says he has a Boer war photo taken in Ladysmith which he will send me, and I will pass onto you when I get it.

Dale
wilsnack at gmail c o m

The owner of the Royal Hotel in the Siege of Ladysmith - C.J. Jones 2 years 6 months ago #78799

• Rory
  • Away
I happened upon this interesting article (and photo) wherein Charles Jones is featured.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.994 seconds