Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Scully of the N.M.R. at Elandslaagte 7 years 5 months ago #49520

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good heavens Rory,
Never come between the British Cavalry and todays fox, both regiments were, as ever, magnificent on the 21st, nothing wrong with that particular wild stab in the dark, taken by so many members of squadrons, they did all that had been expected of them, nothing more and nothing less, those that did extend quarter, were, in my opinion, rather foolish, I would think, however, they were in a minority.
Again, a superb medal.
Regards Frank

Rory wrote: Dennis Nicholson Scully

The Boer line was now totally broken. Those that did not surrender, fled back towards their camp and attempted to escape. The battle of Elandslaagte ended with a second controversy. Once the Boers were fleeing from their positions it was the duty of the British cavalry to break up that retreat and turn it into a rout. In contrast many of the Boers felt that it was wrong to attack a fleeing enemy. The British cavalry carried out a textbook pursuit, and were never forgiven for it by the Boers. The Lancers were the target of a particularly bitter hostility. The Boers did not see the lance as a suitable weapon for Europeans.

Elandslaagte was one of the few battles in the Boer War where the Boers suffered the heavier casualties. British losses were 55 dead and 205 wounded, for a total of 260. Boer losses were approximately 46 dead, 105 wounded and 181 missing or taken prisoner, for a total of 332. The informal nature of much of the Boer military structure means that all casualty figures can only ever be a best guess.

[/size]

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.506 seconds