• Page:

TOPIC:

Advice needed. 7 years 8 months ago #47837

• Sug
  • Sug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
I would like to purchase good quality copies of the QSA , KSA and clasps until the originals surface.
Can anyone advise me where I can get reasonably priced copies ?

Thanks,

Sug.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advice needed. 7 years 8 months ago #47838

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Hi Sug.......

All I can suggest it to keep an eye on our favorite auction site the odd good quality one shows up there or better yet I would buy a name erased or renamed original till I could get a good one......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Advice needed. 7 years 8 months ago #47842

• azyeoman
  • Thank you received: 302
Check Liverpool, Dixon's or Rennie Alcock's British medals sites and see what they have in stock. I'd personally rather wait and buy originals. :-). Good luck.

Advice needed. 7 years 8 months ago #47843

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Given that original medals and clasps are very common and can be bought with ease, I really cannot understand why anyone would want to actually pay for copies, unless, of course, you are looking for a medal/medals that were earned by a particular recipient, these latter may no longer be extant? :unsure:

Sug wrote: I would like to purchase good quality copies of the QSA , KSA and clasps until the originals surface.
Can anyone advise me where I can get reasonably priced copies ?

Thanks,

Sug.

Advice needed. 7 years 8 months ago #47865

• Sug
  • Sug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the replies.
I intend to have them framed along with my grandfathers WW1 medals. I am not sure what the protocol would be here.
If a veteran lost his original medals would he wear someone else's or would he as I think, purchase replacements ?
My grandfather is no longer with us but I would still like to do the appropriate thing or am I reading too much into this ?
Now that I have shared my thoughts you can see how clueless I am on this topic and so I appreciate all your views.
Thanks,
Sug.

Advice needed. 7 years 8 months ago #47878

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453

Sug wrote: Thanks for the replies.
I intend to have them framed along with my grandfathers WW1 medals. I am not sure what the protocol would be here.
If a veteran lost his original medals would he wear someone else's or would he as I think, purchase replacements ?
My grandfather is no longer with us but I would still like to do the appropriate thing or am I reading too much into this ?
Now that I have shared my thoughts you can see how clueless I am on this topic and so I appreciate all your views.
Thanks,
Sug.

Many veterans wore other people's medals - you do get medals groups with an "odd man" medals amongst them, or a medal with the naming details erased and sometimes replaced. There are always re-named and erased medals appearing on ebay.

Whether you decide to buy originals or copies is entirely up to you - it's your grandfather.

I am pleased to see a family taking pride and interest in their military ancestors - well done!
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.582 seconds