Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

TPR. A. Cornelius Dennisons Scouts 7 years 8 months ago #47794

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
For Dennison's Scouts see A Fight to a Finish by Major C. G. Dennison, D.S.O., published in 1904 and available online.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

TPR. A. Cornelius Dennisons Scouts 7 years 8 months ago #47812

• mike rowan
  • Thank you received: 88
I have just finished reading Zulu Frontiersman by Ron Lock and Peter Quantrill all about Major C G Dennison. It is heavily based on A Fight to the Finish, but has been polished up a bit.
There is a reference which was of particular interest to me "... During my absence the column marched for the Hoopstad district, and had an engagement with the combined Commandos of Commandant-General Badenhorst and Commandants Jacobs and Erasmus, and drove them off, effecting considerable loss on the enemy. On this occasion four scouts were taken by the Boers, two of which, Hoffman and Hannay- both slightly off-coloured, weere shot in cold blood ..." the casualy roll records that on 23rd July 1901 , N0. 66 Private G Hannie and no. 69 Private J Hoffman were captured at Palmietpan and 'since reported shot' The other two ( whiter, I guess ) scouts , 26149 Sergeant J Rolland and 38003 Private F Jacobs were taken POW and released ( they were found on Boer waggons a few days later when these were captured by De Lisle's column. )
No. 17 , Private A Cornelius was the next entry on the casualty roll as having been dangerously wounded at Wolverpan on 25th July 1901.
This all raises a number of questions :-
1) Were the coloured scouts given a different numbering series to their white counterparts ?
2) Was is general Boer policy to execute non whites found fighting for the British ?

TPR. A. Cornelius Dennisons Scouts 7 years 8 months ago #47813

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello Mike

To answer

2) Was is general Boer policy to execute non whites found fighting for the British ?

From my reading around, yes - and non-combatant Africans too. The Boers murdered African wagon drivers captured at Modderfontein Jan/Feb 1901. On the same side of the coin British forces shot Africans accused of spying for the Boers.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.816 seconds