Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

"From the Black Mountains to Diamond Hill" 7 years 11 months ago #46640

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1541
Forum members
During my recent visit to Hobart, I finally got to photographing a pair of 2.5" RML Mountain Guns situated outside the Officer's Mess in Anglesea Barracks. The guns themselves have been heavily coated in shiny black paint; however the trunnion of one clearly shows the title of the gun and the date "1882". This pair of guns were issued to the Launceston Volunteer Artillery in 1884 - of course, they did not see service in SA during 1899-1902. Despite the fact that both guns were fitted with larger wheels for greater mobility, they do serve to show the sort of thing Gunner McFadden hefted about between 1891 and 1897.
Regards
IL.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"From the Black Mountains to Diamond Hill" 7 years 7 months ago #48416

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1541
Interested forum members
Some time ago, Justin told us that it was likely Gunner McFadden acted as servant to an officer of his Regiment - the Royal Artillery . I finally got around to looking at the CIV roll and discovered two possibilities; both being entitled to the same QSA clasps as now Private McFadden. These officers being Capt. S.Firth, R.A. (Staff Officer) and - probably more likely - Capt. C.A.Mortimore (who served with the RGA).
Thanks Justin and Meurig.
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.701 seconds