Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Major J R Greer, Border Mounted Rifles 8 years 4 weeks ago #45962

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 740
Rory, David, Frank & Patrick
Thank you all for your kind comments. I now have only one recent acquisition to deal with - a much less interesting pair of medals to a man who served in the Natal Mounted Rifles during the Boer War. After that it seems I am likely to be in for another long medal drought, which I am dreading.

Frank
I had not previously given much thought to 'other silverware' associated with medals, but, like you, I did like Greer's little collection. Such items are probably easily separated from medals and sold separately, which is probably what happened with the BMR Marksman's Badge. I will certainly be on the look-out for them in future.

Patrick
I left out mention of the QSA miniature, because I suspect that Greer simply purchased what was available locally, and the DoL, OFS**, Tvl, LN was a common enough combination for soldiers from Natal. I do think it was possible that the having the OFS** clasp on his miniature may have led to Greer deciding to get that clasp for his full-size medal as well.
** "Tailor's copies" of miniatures may have regarded the post-war name (ORC) correct for what had been the OFS.

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.302 seconds