Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

QSA with service in the Utrecht/Vryheid Mounted Police 8 years 1 month ago #45820

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2150
I have acquired a QSA to a Henry Lewis Christianson who saw service with 2 K.F.S. as well as the Durban Light Infantry to who the medal is named with clasps Transvaal and RoL.

My request for information is around the U/V. M.P. Does anyone have any info on this mythical outfit? How long they were in existence for, were any medals issued named to them etc.?

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA with service in the Utrecht/Vryheid Mounted Police 8 years 1 month ago #45821

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Rory,

Medals were certainly awarded to the U/V Mounted Police. There are approx 240 men on the QSA Roll. WO 100/261 pages 192 -203. The first roll page shows that the records of these men were in the custody of the District Officer of the Natal Police in Dundee.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

QSA with service in the Utrecht/Vryheid Mounted Police 8 years 1 month ago #45833

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2150
Thank you for that info Adrian. My question was how many medals were named to them - I see a number of references to service with other outfits (my chap included) who appear on the UMP roll but whose medals weren't issued to the U/VMP.

I still think these are scarce and I certainly have never encountered one. Perhaps Henk Loots has?

Interestingly the OC of the outfit seems to have been (judging from the first roll page you mention) Major James Brackenbury Marshall whose medals I have - all named to the Natal Police. (see attached)

The Utrecht/Vryheid MP looks to have been a Composite Regiment of sorts.

Regards

Rory

Attachments:

QSA with service in the Utrecht/Vryheid Mounted Police 8 years 4 weeks ago #45879

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Rory
I disposed of the QSA to 32 Supt R T Paterson, Utrecht-Vryheid M P some years ago.
Henk

QSA with service in the Utrecht/Vryheid Mounted Police 4 years 8 months ago #65481

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Paterson's QSA now resides with my younger son in England. Researching the UMP and Paterson is proving to be a fairly fruitless task. He was a Johannesburg resident and unlike other Uitlanders he may have remained there during the war, perhaps serving in the Town (Foot) Police. This might explain his appearance as a senior ranker (Superintendent/Captain) in the UMP when it was created.

Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds