Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1 R.B. 8 years 4 months ago #44669

First post since joining. These are my grandfather's medals from Boer/Great War. They are on display in The Rifles Museum in Winchester. I was lucky enough to be able to take my mum (his daughter) to see them shortly before she died. He unfortunately died fairly young at 56 possibly as a result of several wounds during his service. His D.C.M. was awarded after the action at Oceana Mine near Grootvlei in December 1900 having previously been wounded in February. His service record shows him being admitted to hospital with myalgia towards the end of WW1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 R.B. 8 years 4 months ago #44671

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Hello
"3302 Sgt. P.Shaw " of RB is shown as Wounded at Ladysmith on 18021900: during his qualification for clasps "Tugela Heights" and "Relief of Ladysmith" on his well earned QSA. I once did some research on the Grotvlei battle and it was a tough one. His DCM was announced in the London Gazette of 27091901 and notified in Army Order 15/02. You probably already know this - but you might be able to find more info on your GF by checking the RB Chronicle.
Thanks for illustrating those medals. It is a very fine group.
Regards
IL.

1 R.B. 8 years 4 months ago #44672

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Super pictures thanks for posting.

I wrote about the action at Oceana Mine/Grootvlei for Soldiers of The Queen (Victorian Military Society) Issue 80 March 1995.

Who did he serve with in WW1?

In the picture of the three soldiers, it looks like a French soldier on the right, do you know who he is or the circumstances behind taking the picture?
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

1 R.B. 8 years 4 months ago #44673

Hello
I have a copy of your article re:- Oceana Mine as it was the first time I ever found any detail of the action. He served throughout his service with 1 R.B. except for a short period at the end of the war when he was compulsorily transferred to Labour Corps as a pay clerk prior to return to U.K. and retirement. The photo of French soldier was taken early in WW1 around the St Julien area and is actually a postcard which at some time was badly stuck into an album (attached) I have no info on him but he appears to have "104" on his kepi. I am also lucky in that my g/f's service record was NOT one of the "burnt" or destroyed records so I have his full service record. Also attached is a photo of his shooting team in Malta 1904 (Sgt in middle)
Regards
Gary
Attachments:

1 R.B. 8 years 4 months ago #44677

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Gary.....

Here are your pictures.....

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

1 R.B. 8 years 4 months ago #44683

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Thanks again Gary - great archive you have.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.756 seconds