Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Imperial Yeomanry Officer query 8 years 3 months ago #44615

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2151
I recently acquired a group to Major AH Barron, ASC comprising the QSA (Imperial Yeomanry) and his WWI trio with M.I.D.

Where I need help is that he was commissioned into the 36th Coy, I.Y. in the latter part of the Boer War according to the short bio below, but I can find no trace of this in the LG. Were IY commissions Gazetted or not and, if not, where would one find out more about it?

BARRON Albert Harold. Born Hollymount, County Mayo, Ireland 5.1.1871. Educated at Merchant Taylors School and Jesus College, Oxford. Journalist. Anglo-Boer War; Enlisted (London) 12.1.00. Private, 35th (Middlesex) Company, 11th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry (No6458). South Africa 28.2.00. Operations at Wittebergen, Cape Colony and Orange Free State. Home 18.7.01. Discharged 28.7.01. Lieutenant, 36th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry, January 1902. Resigned 11.8.02

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Imperial Yeomanry Officer query 8 years 3 months ago #44616

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Rory
Some time ago, I did a post on a chap who served as an OR with the Fife IY and later went back to earn a KSA with the Scottish Horse IY as a Lieutenant. The post number was 21581. The point of this reply is that I looked all over for any gazetting and found nothing. Research at the UK NA on my behalf found similarly and djb commented that officers' papers for the IY were not present. I did read somewhere that the appointment of officers in the Volunteers was vested by Parliament in the Lord Lieutenant subject to the Queen's approval. Just now, I found the reference: "The Volunteer Force" by Hugh Cunningham (ISBN 0-85664-257-6). In Will Bennet's "Absent Minded Beggars", he comments that many commissions in (I assume) the Second IY were granted "without a personal interview with a member of the Imperial Yeomanry Committee" - so even the Lord Lt. shortcut might be circumvented in that manner. Of course, holders of IY commissions did not carry the same level of prestige as those holding regular commissions.
As ever, if anyone feels that my comments are incorrect, I would be happy to hear of it.
Looks like we will search in vain for info on holders of IY commissions.
Good luck
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Imperial Yeomanry Officer query 8 years 3 months ago #44618

• Rory
I take cold comfort from what I have appended below Linneyl - at least FMP have a note of his promotion although from whence they would have acquired this tit bit is a mystery...

Anglo-Boer War records 1899-1902 Transcription
Learn more
Print transcription
First name(s) Albert Harold
Last name Barron
Service number(s) 6458
Rank Trooper
Regiment Imperial Yeomanry
Literary references The National Archives WO128. Imperial Yeomanry, Soldiers' Documents, South African War.
Notes The Queen's South Africa (QSA) Medal Clasps: Wittebergen, Cape Colony, Transvaal, South Africa 1901
Units Unit: 36 Imperial Yeomanry Battalion, Rank: Lieutenant, Number:
Unit: 35 Imperial Yeomanry Company (Middlesex), Rank: Trooper, Number: 6458

Regards

Rory

Imperial Yeomanry Officer query 8 years 3 months ago #44620

• Rory
Linneyl

There's hope yet!!

See below a reply to a similar post I placed on the BMF by fellow Forumite Meurig

IY commissions are gazetted, I can't find Barron's but this is a sample page: www.thegazette.co.uk/London/iss ... 7/page/295

Barron's resignation is gazetted: www.thegazette.co.uk/London/iss ... /page/5534

From the medal roll and lack of remarks re commission on his WO128 papers it would appear Barron did not serve in SA with the 36th bn. He was not apparently awarded an SA02 clasp.

Methinks some more digging is required.

Regards

Rory

Imperial Yeomanry Officer query 8 years 3 months ago #44621

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Rory
Well Well! There is hope. I suppose looking for a Gazetting date would mean a search around whatever date you IDd. I did look your man up on my IY roll and it did not mention any Commission. Nevertheless, the "Wittebergen" clasp makes your man's QSA stand out a bit from the usual run of IY medals. I must have a another trawl for JWC's commission date.
Best regards
IL.

Imperial Yeomanry Officer query 8 years 3 months ago #44904

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
Rory,

The July 1902 Army List gives his commission date as 21 January 1902 (with temporary rank of Lieutenant in the Army from this date) in the 36th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry (159th, 160th, 161st and 162nd Companies).

Best wishes,

Justin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.471 seconds