Medals to the King's Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) 5 years 11 months ago #58451

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500

Picture courtesy of Spink

BSACM reverse Rhodesia 1896 (6715 Pte. W. Spencer, 3/K.R.R. Corps);
QSA (7) TH RoL Tr LN CC OFS 01 (6715 Pte. W. Spencer, K.R.R.C.)

William Spencer was in Derby, Derbyshire in December 1870 and enlisted in the King's Royal Rifle Corps in August 1891, aged 20 years.

He was posted to the 3rd Battalion and served on the Isle of Wight until enlisted in a special Mounted Infantry Force destined for Rhodesia in April 1896 - he was one of 29 men selected from the ranks of his battalion. He subsequently saw action with the Mashonaland Field Force (Medal) and returned to England in June 1897, when he was placed on the Army Reserve.

Recalled on the advent of hostilities in South Africa, Spencer was drafted to the 3rd Battalion, K.R.R.C. and arrived at Cape Town in November 1899. He was once again selected for duties in the Mounted Infantry, as part of 4th Brigade Mounted Infantry Company; he would later serve in Gough's Mounted Infantry. As such, he was heavily engaged in the relief of Ladysmith operations and beyond (Queen's Medal & 7 clasps). He was discharged in May 1902 and died at Spondon, Derbyshire in April 1939.

Sold for £700
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the King's Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) 4 years 11 months ago #63127

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
A QSA named to Sergeant Instructor of Musketry

QSA (4 CC OFS Tr SA01 (4230 Sejt.-Inst: Msky: W. Humerston, K.R.R.C.), officially reimpressed;
Army LS&GC VR (4230. Cr. Sgt. W. Humerston, K. R. Rif: C.)

William James Humerston was born in 1855 at Widmore Street, Bromley, Kent, serving with the 60th Rifles as Sergeant Instructor of Musketry from 1875. He was discharged at Mallow, County Cork on 18 April 1902 and died in 1903.

I have not checked but I wonder if this is his complete entitlement?
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the King's Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) 4 years 11 months ago #63132

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
A pair from the next Spink sale:

QSA (5) CC OFS Tr SA01 SA02 (9840 Bugler W. E. Coe, K.R.R.C.);
AGS 1902 (2) Somaliland 1902-04, Jidballi (9840 Corpl. W. E. Coe, K.R.R.C.)

William Ellis Coe served with the 25th Mounted Infantry and 4th Battalion, K.R.R.C. in South Africa. He was wounded at Sterkstroom on 18 June 1901 and again on 30 October 1901 at Bakenlaagte.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the King's Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) 4 years 11 months ago #63255

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The pair of medals to Sergeant William James Humerston, KRRC. The QSA is named to Sergeant Instructor of Musketry and the LS&GC to Colour Sergeant.

William Humerston was born in Bromley, Kent in 1855 and joined the Army on 1875. He married in Cork in 1892 and had four children over an 8 year period. William died aged 47 in Cork in 1903 and his wife survived him by 43 years.

The catalogue suggests the QSA is officially renamed but the rim fits snugly into the No 4 frame with no evident signs of renaming.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the King's Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) 4 years 11 months ago #63260

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 234
There have been a number of KRRC medals and groups in recent auctions and I suspect these are from the collection of the late Irv Mortensen. Some years ago I was in correspondence with Irv and he was always forthcoming with all sorts of information. A true gentleman who will be sadly missed.

Medals to the King's Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) 4 years 11 months ago #63267

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
I did not know that Irv Mortensen had died. He was a true gentleman., and his passing is a great loss to the medal-collecting fraternity. He was very generous in sharing his unequaled knowledge of the KRRC. On learning of my interest in the Composite Regiment, Mounted Brigade, during the Relief of Ladysmith he very kindly offered me one of only two QSA/KSA pairs in his collection awarded to a member of the 2nd KRRC Mounted Infantry Company. Although I later acquired a few 'better' KRRC groups that pair is still one of the favourites in my collection.

Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.701 seconds