Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

All those missing KSA's 8 years 7 months ago #43298

• pjac49
  • pjac49's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 32
Idly musing on where all those missing KSA's have got to . There must have been tens of thousands issued to accompany QSA's, but there seem to be loads of QSA's from these pairs still around and on the market which are missing their KSA's, and not all that many single KSA's around. Also, why did they become separated so often? Did QSA's appear more interesting because of the variety of clasps, or perhaps even had a more attractive ribbon, so the KSA's got discarded?

These questions are based on impressions and observation rather than deep analysis and I'd be interested in members' views, ideas, opinions , and knowledge..

Patrick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

All those missing KSA's 8 years 7 months ago #43303

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Patrick
You have raised an interesting point. I think you might be right about QSA's being more highly valued, so perhaps KSA's were more likely to end up in the melting pot.
Regards
Brett

All those missing KSA's 8 years 7 months ago #43305

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I have seen and continue to see, a awful lot of single KSA's, we are awash with them here, the vast majority to British Army recipients, which is a great pity, but, it is very important to remember that they were not normally issued together.
I think that one of the issues is, clearly, many, if not most, collectors only want to collect a particular mans entitlement, so if he was only entitled to a QSA, a collector is far more likely to just buy that medal rather than an another to a recipient who was also entitled to the KSA, simply because he knows that he will spend the rest of his days looking for that particular medal.
If you go to a fair here and are confronted with, for example, fifty good pairs and another fifty single QSA's, all the recipients full entitlements, how many collectors are actually going to look at the single KSA's on offer, which certainly can, on occasion, be very considerable in number, I suspect, very few indeed, other than those people who are looking for a particular KSA, they simply don't have the same value in the eyes of many people.

All those missing KSA's 8 years 7 months ago #43306

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Patrick,
As Brett says an interesting question.
I tend to agree with Frank in terms of quantity of KSA's over here, you will always find plenty at the medal fairs.
I would not buy a single KSA and then hope to find the QSA but I have reversed that type of purchase.
I must admit without success.

Regards
Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

All those missing KSA's 8 years 7 months ago #43307

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Quite frankly Paul, I would seldom bother to even look at them. let alone actually buy them.

All those missing KSA's 8 years 7 months ago #43311

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Interesting Subject......

Normally would not look at KSA's......

But I would have and have bought the odd single KSA true not many.....

Looking for the Canadian named KSA's of course of which there were very few......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.966 seconds