Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Single Clasp KSA 8 years 8 months ago #42813

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Gordon
As Ryan says, a single clasp "SA1901" is possible under some very special circumstances. I illustrated the following trio on this site some time ago and here is another airing:

Regards
IL.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Single Clasp KSA 8 years 8 months ago #42814

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
Seeing groups with two rare bar phenomenon are what keep me collecting as brilliant surprises like these keep popping up!

Single Clasp KSA 8 years 8 months ago #42837

• steelbonnet
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
This would be a rather nice group even without the v/rare single clasp to the KSA , thanks for the pictures.
I must now get copies of my mans KSA/QSA medal rolls and see if his single clasp is confirmed
Gordon

Single Clasp KSA 8 years 8 months ago #42844

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The single clasp obviously is "possible" but, it is very unlikely that he ever actually wore the group as it is now, in particular, in the presence of the sovereign, I would think Clinton Grey Gilfillan had actually lost his original KSA and very clearly subsequently "found" it again, WO100/350 confirms his original KSA to number 76 (check the numbers on the medals!) Conductor CG Gilfillan ASC, I would say the error regarding initials was made at the mint, he had served in Bethune's Mounted Infantry until the 22nd of April 1901, the second KSA is verified with a note, Duplicate medal and clasp issued on the 28th of February 1918 to General Officer Commanding South African Military Command Headquarters The Castle Cape town.

steelbonnet wrote:

I have had this group for many years and as yet have not done anything about researching why our man has two KSA single clasp S.A. 1901. All the medals are correctly named in the correct period style. The group came with a lot of paperwork and a photo or two, one clearly showing the medals (only one KSA) being worn sometime post WW2. I can confirm his entitlement for WW1 WW2 and coronation medals but have nothing on his boer war medals.
QSA 1159 Trp. C.G.GILFILLAN, first KSA 75 CONDR. E.G. GILFILLAN A.S.C., second KSA 75 C.G. GILFILLAN A.S.C. The different first initial suggests that a second KSA was requested and issued but again with single clasp? a real oddity
I know that a single 1901 clasp is not possible but this group has apparently been worn in in the presence of George VI at his coronation celebrations.
Any suggestions where to look would be helpful
Gordon

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.635 seconds