Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A Mahlabatini Survivor - Johnstone-Smith of the Natal Police 8 years 9 months ago #42167

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 455
Hello Rory

Very nice indeed.

The Official Cas Roll has his date of death as September, not August - presumably Nongqai states August? The gravestone looks illegible. I wonder where his mother got September from.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Mahlabatini Survivor - Johnstone-Smith of the Natal Police 8 years 9 months ago #42171

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Rory,
I agree with Meurig, generally speaking, all QSA's named to the Natal Police, are actually quite scarce in themselves, but, that particular example is superb, it would certainly not be an easy task to find a better one, thank you for showing it, the Natal Police is something that you do not see very often, these days, even here.
Kind regards Frank

A Mahlabatini Survivor - Johnstone-Smith of the Natal Police 8 years 9 months ago #42211

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi everybody

Trooper Aldwinckle survived for about 4 weeks after being wounded early morning as one of the advance party under Sgt Collett. He died on 24 May 1901 after having his arm amputated and, according to "In Memoriam", is buried at Mahlabatini. The QSA roll states that he was KiA on 28 April.

Henk
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.422 seconds