Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Register of Surviving medals awarded to St John Ambulance Brigade 3 years 10 months ago #69062

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Scooby-Doo
Your comment about ex-soldiers on hard times erasing their medals before pawning them agrees with what I was told many years ago. Sometimes, given the seismic economic shifts of the last Century and a bit, I wonder how any Victorian/Edwardian medals survived.
Regarding the "minefield" of QSA collecting, the subject is a matter of personal preference. When I started my first QSA collection here in OZ in the 1970's, there was almost zero info. No books, no internet. Any QSA other than those impressed in the thin skeleton caps was regarded as suspect and engraved examples were often regarded as re-named. It was by no means The Garden of Eden for medal collecting. Best sources were the big medal dealers of the day. Then, I found Alec Kaplan to be tops. Today, with books, medal dealers, medal auctions and the WWW there is a mint of information out there. In my opinion, this site is pre-eminent in that regard.
Concerned about "Provenance"? Well, its nice if you can get it - however the medal represents a segment of a man's life and times probably unlike anything else he saw. Sometimes, surprises crop up. "Condition"? A matter of preference. I really don't mind. Judging by posts on this site, others feel similarly. "Naming"? Certain styles are documented and shown on this site. Not too hard these days. "Clasps"? Occasionally a glitch. However often a chap only entitled to a Cape Colony clasp on his QSA saw more action than a member of the Kimberley Town Guard!
The "lockdown" is certainly a good research opportunity. Anyway, whatever collecting field you pursue, good luck to you. Keep batting on.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Scooby-Doo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Register of Surviving medals awarded to St John Ambulance Brigade 3 years 10 months ago #69199

• Scooby-Doo
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
A little sad to see them go, but sold to a collector in Luton. I've found the forum very interesting and informative and will still look in from time to time.

Register of Surviving medals awarded to St John Ambulance Brigade 3 years 10 months ago #69234

• Scooby-Doo
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
Another pair for sale on Ebay , not in the best condition but not mentioned on this topic page.

QUEEN’S SOUTH AFRICA MISSING ITS CAPE COLONY BAR IT HAS NEVER BEEN FITTED & ST JOHN AMBULANCE BRIGADE BRONZE MEDAL 1899-1902 BOLTON CORPS.
1573 ORDLY T. THORNLEY

On about 6 weeks ago BIN @ £550 no bids , then relisted BIN @ £510 no bids ,now relisted again down to BIN £480
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Register of Surviving medals awarded to St John Ambulance Brigade 3 years 9 months ago #69496

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
The St John pair to Kelly sold at Lockdales today for a hammer price of £540.
Dr David Biggins

Register of Surviving medals awarded to St John Ambulance Brigade 3 years 9 months ago #69668

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
A single St John Medal named to 841 PTE.W.YEATES PRESTON CORPS.

Gary Brown Medals £375.
Dr David Biggins

Register of Surviving medals awarded to St John Ambulance Brigade 3 years 9 months ago #69774

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=283912911975&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.558 seconds