• djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Thank you for Andrew Grantham for spotting this one

picture courtesy of Fellows

MM GV (535544 Pte. W. H. Durrad. 15/Lond:R.);
QSA (5) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902 (20101 Tpr: W. H. Durrad. 33rd Coy Imp: Yeo:);
British War Medal and Victory Medal (535544 Pte. W. H. Durrad. 15-Lond.R.)

Together with a Victorian Volunteer Long Service Medal (unnamed), plus a personal letter, boxes and paper envelope.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

MM and QSA combinations 10 months 3 days ago #89936

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The MM group to Sergeant Currie ( www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...-ramc?start=48#89883 ) sold for a hammer price of GBP 1,600. Totals: GBP 2,061. R 47,290. AUD 3,750. NZD 4,030. CAD 3,330. USD 2,450. EUR 2,280
Dr David Biggins

MM and QSA combinations 10 months 2 days ago #89953

• exyeoman
  • Thank you received: 15
An impressive RFA example in Noonans' next sale. Uncommon combination with NWF 1908
Ian
www.noonans.co.uk/auctions/calendar/673/...s=India+1908&x=0&y=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

MM and QSA combinations 10 months 2 days ago #89954

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

MM GV (28262 Sjt: G. Hurst. 149/By: R.F.A.);
QSA (4) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 (28262 Tptr: G. Hurst, R.F.A.);
IGS 1908 (1) North West Frontier 1908 (28262 Gunr. G. Hurst. 62nd. By. R.F.A.);
1914-15 Star (28262 B.S. Mjr. G. Hurst. R.F.A.);
British War and Victory Medals (28262 W.O. Cl. 2. G. Hurst. R.A.);
Army LS&GC GV (28262 Sjt. G. Hurst. M.M. R.F.A.)

MM London Gazette 21 December 1916.

George Hurst served with the 149th Battery, Royal Field Artillery during the Great War on the Western Front from 23 December 1914.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

MM and QSA combinations 9 months 3 weeks ago #90012

• Quietness
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Ian,
Thank you for all your details on Arthur Knowles!
It was me who wrote the piece you found on the National Trust's Clouds Hill site, as I am a volunteer there. :-)
I have been researching the Knowles family for a couple of years, and have lots of details on them - except for Arthur's Boer War period (particularly 1901 and 1902) for which there is little available.
Here is a clearer picture of Arthur's medals at the Tank Museum, which I photographed last year. I was visiting yesterday, and couldn't find the medal drawers in which these sit, so I asked and was told the whole medal collection is currently being redesigned, and is not at present available to view by the public.

Some extra details for you: Arthur and his wife Henrietta's grave is immediately behind T. E. Lawrence's grave in Moreton cemetery; the documents you mentioned in the Huntington Library, California, are Arthur's own copies of his attestation papers on joining up in January 1900 (Boer War) and in 1920 (re-joining the Tank Corps after demobilisation from War service); by joining the City of London Imperial Volunteers, Arthur was one of those awarded Freedom of the City of London before being deployed to South Africa.
(I'll comment separately about 'S.A.S.')
Regards,
Martin
Attachments:

MM and QSA combinations 9 months 3 weeks ago #90013

• Quietness
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Replying to Ian and David regarding the mysterious 'S.A.S' entry on W. A. C. Knowles's QSA medal entry.
The page in question is listing the Clasps that each serviceman is entitled to, and for Knowles there is a '3' indicating he was due three of them (CC, OFS, T), plus the note "See S.A.S. King's Roll'.
From his WWI Medal Index Card, we know Arthur Knowles had been awarded the 'South Africa 1901' and 'South Africa 1902' Clasps for the KSA medal. My reading of this note is that it says, effectively '[In addition to the 3 QSA Clasps, also] See the [two] S.A. [Clasp]s [awarded on the] King's Roll', with 'S.A.s' being an abbreviation for the two South Africa 1901 and 1902 Clasps.
Jut a theory, but one I'm happy to go with!
(I do, however, note the doubts you have expressed as to whether he was entitled to the KSA at all. It may be worth adding that he is listed with his parents in London for the 1901 census, on 31 March.)
Regards,
Martin

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.651 seconds