TOPIC:

I am but a working man... W. Slatem and his story 9 years 5 months ago #23522

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2151
William Slatem

Sergeant Major, “C” Troop, 3rd Cape Yeomanry – Kaffir Wars
Trooper, 2nd Brabant’s Horse and
Conductor, Julius Weil’s Transport attached to the Army Service Corps – Anglo Boer War

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasp Cape Colony issued to Brabant’s Horse

William Slater had quite a life! He was born in about 1847 to Robert and Elizabeth Slatem in Barking, Essex which is where we find the family in the 1851 census. Resident at 34 Fisher Street (appropriately named seeing as Robert Slatem was a Fisherman) the family comprised 32 year old Elizabeth, 11 year old Robert, 7 year old James and 4 year old William. Mr Slater must have been out earning his living when the enumerators called round as there is no mention of him.

At some point Robert must have decided to take his family to South Africa, settling in the Port Elizabeth area of the Eastern Cape. Life was very hard on the “frontier” and settlers who strayed too far from the main centres; themselves little more than hamlets, were likely to find themselves under attack from the Fingos and other black tribes who resented their presence.

The first mention of William since his departure from England came at Port Elizabeth on 23 February 1872 when he was 25 years old and took the form of his name appearing on a petition signed by himself and brothers’ John and George in respect of their father Robert (CSO 4176 Ref S19). What was the petition all about? It read as follows,

“On 27 April 1871 the petitioners’ father, Robert Slatem, an aged man, who had for many years resided in Port Elizabeth, was tried before Mr. Justice Smith at the Circuit Court held at Port Elizabeth on the charge of murder of his wife but after the hearing of the case the jury returned the verdict of not guilty on the grounds of insanity, the result of an unfortunate attack of fever from which he had been suffering for a long period and thereupon Mr. Justice Smith acquitted the prisoner but ordered that he should be detained for safekeeping until he could be released with safety, when he would be prepared to use his influence in obtaining his release.

He was immediately removed to the gaol in Port Elizabeth where he remained for a long period and was afterwards removed from there to Robben Island where he has remained ever since and has now perfectly recovered from the temporary insanity from which he suffered when the unfortunate occurrence took place.

For many years before the death of the petitioners’ lamented mother their father had resided in Port Elizabeth where he was well known as an honest, sober and industrious man, a devoted husband and an affectionate father. The sons’ petition for their father’s release.

So what was this all about? For a more in-depth look we now turn to a newspaper article of the period. The article was entitled “Melancholy Occurrence” and read thus,

“A very sad affair occurred in this town on Wednesday last, which has quite cast a gloom over a portion of the community. In a small cottage at the north end of the town there resided a quiet, respectable old couple, of the name of Slatem. They were to all appearance a remarkably happy pair and, though poor, gained the esteem of their neighbours and all who knew them. They were also, we understand, consistent and respected members of the Wesleyan Church. For some short time past, however, the husband has complained of his head, and expressed fears that his mind was becoming deranged.

Only a few days ago he made application for a ticket of admission to the hospital; but it was refused as he did not appear to be suffering from any bodily disorder, and for the mentally indisposed there is no institution open in this province. His friends seem to have taken but very little notice of his complaining, though it now seems quite clear that his mind must have been gradually giving way. On Wednesday last Mr De Fenzi, who lives near the old couple, was not a little shocked at seeing the man suddenly make an appearance at this house covered in blood, and with an open razor in his hand. He said he had cut his wife’s throat, and that she had gone to Heaven.

Mr. De Fenzi first got the razor out of the man’s hand, and then with a policeman, who had been called, proceeded to Slatem’s house. On entering the bedroom a fearful sight presented itself. Mrs Slatem lay on the bed with her throat cut completely across, and quite dead. The bed was saturated with blood. And from the position in which the body laid it is most probable she was killed during her sleep. Slatem was at once apprehended and lodged in gaol. He speaks sensibly enough on some subjects; but on others is incoherent, and doubtlessly is suffering from insanity. He says his poor wife was a good woman, and that he has sent her to Heaven; but beyond this nothing can be got from him that appears at all reliable.

He was brought before the Magistrate yesterday and remanded for further examination. In the meantime he will be examined by the District Surgeon. We understand that the prisoner has four children, one of whom is at Cape Town, and the other three were residing with him up to the time of this unfortunate occurrence. They are all respectable, well behaved people, and the general impression is that had he not been suffering from mental derangement, he would not have been guilty of the serious crime for which he will have to stand his trial at the next Circuit.”

In support of the petition for his release the Surgeon Superintendent wrote on 23 March 1872,

“Robert Slatem was received into this institution on 3 August 1871 and placed in the Lunatic Wards. During the nine months he has been confined, he has not exhibited any symptoms of mental unsoundness. Since his admission he has worked daily either at the pumps or driving the ration cart and can be implicitly trusted. He is of a simple disposition, good-tempered, very tractable, anxious to please, fond of his family and deeply feels his position. There is no necessity for detaining him any longer.”

About seven years later, in 1879 William Slatem was called into action as part of the 3rd Cape Yeomanry, tasked with defending the lands and property of the settlers from the aggressions and incursions of the Kaffir tribes in the Eastern Cape. He was a Sergeant with “C” troop – the Graaf Reinet troop – headquartered at Uitenhage inland from Port Elizabeth. He saw action and was in the fight at Morosi’s stronghold. By all accounts he was awarded the medal for this campaign with 1878 clasp.

Things went quiet on the Slatem front until he made his next appearance, at the age of 52, at the outset of the Anglo Boer War. On 28 November 1899 at Queenstown he attested for service with the 2nd Regiment of Brabant’s Horse and was assigned no. 348 and the rank of Trooper. This outfit was involved in much skirmishing in the Eastern Cape in an effort to keep the marauding Boer Forces from infiltrating the region. Slatem earned the Cape Colony clasp to his Queens Medal in this way.

Having taken his discharge at nearby Dordrecht on 23 February 1900, Slatem seems to have joined up with Julius Weil’s transport company. This outfit was attached to the Army Service Corps and it developed and enjoyed a reputation for getting through enemy lines with much needed provisions and supplies for the Imperial forces. Weil himself was a Jew born in London whose siblings had joined him in South Africa and who had built up an enviable business reputation in Cape Town and elsewhere. Slatem appears to have been stationed at the A.S.C. workshops in Pretoria and was given the rank or appellation of Conductor.

The war ended on 31 May 1902 but long before then Pretoria had been surrendered and as early as January of that year those who had fled Johannesburg were starting to return. Sadly for them, what they came home to was, in many instances, vandalised properties stripped bare of furniture and other valuables by occupying British forces. Slatem’s property didn’t escape the plunder and, on 22 January 1902 he directed a letter to Captain St. L. Ferris, D.A.A.G. Line of Communications from his address c/o Kirk and Delvers Street, No. 92, Johannesburg as follows,

“Sir, I beg leave to submit to your Honour, the enclosed list of goods taken and damaged from my premises during the present war and to ask to claim compensation for same.

I have been absent since the commencement of the war until now having first returned here and found the enclosed goods missing and damaged. I have been most of the time in General Brabant’s Horse, afterwards in the A.S.C. in Machadadorp (this is in the Eastern Transvaal) and Pretoria from there I went to Cape Town being laid up with fever and dysentery, which has taken all my earnings and leaving me unable to replace my tools and furniture. Trusting my claim will meet with compensation.

Your obedient servant etc.

Wm. Slatem”

This was followed up by a letter to Lt. H. L. Willett, Local Claims Office, on 3 February 1902,

Sir, I beg to point out that until I obtained a permit to return here on 11 January I was unaware of the loss of my furniture and tools, and was therefore unable to make any claim. I may also mention that in the month of July 1900 a member of the Imperial Light Horse, who had left his goods in a room when war broke out, saw the premises and everything was then in order, so that the looting must have taken place after that date, the man is now in Johannesburg so I trust you will allow my claim to stand, or kindly inform me to whom I should apply or what course I should adopt, as I am unable to replace my losses.

I have the honour sir....”

To further strengthen his claim Slatem wrote Willett again on 10 February,

“Sir, I beg to offer the following information n respect of my claim for compensation.
Mr. A.E. Carr, an Engineer, visited my place in August 1900 and found the place in order, he having things of his own in one of the rooms, he visited it again in 1901 and found the place looted, things of his own and friend missing, Mr. Carr is here in Johannesburg.

Mr. McCauley, who is also here, visited the place in March 1901 and found the place looted. Mr Goch also visited it in the month of July 1900 and found the place in order, and again in March 1901 and found the place broken into and the premises in disorder.
Off (sic) it is a matter of impossibility to say who did the looting but it was done after the British occupation is plane (sic) enough, as the above witnesses can testify.
Trusting that this will be sufficient evidence and proof to justify my claim. Etc. etc.”

Louis Goch, one of the witnesses quoted above, provided a written confirmation for Slatem’s use which read as follows,

“Dear Sir

In connection with your property on Stand 1482 Kirk and Delvers Street and the damage done thereto, I beg to inform you that during the latter part of July 1900 I visited it and found it outwardly intact. Again in March 1901 I visited it and found that the windows had been smashed, one pane in each window and many of the doors were forcibly opened and the locks damaged.

I had no means of discovering the precise date or by whom this was done, although according to the general appearance of the damage it appeared to have been effected by perhaps the police or military authorities, for the window panes were, in the majority of cases, broken in such a manner as to afford easy access to the lock, and one window, to which no blind was affixed, was left intact. The forcing of the doors was such as to destroy the locks and consequently render the door useless as far as protection was concerned; hence I am not surprised to learn that goods are missing.

I regret being unable to give you any more dates, or any other information which may be of use to you, however I trust you will find this satisfactory.

Yours faithfully

Louis C. Goch”

The Report on Investigation into the claim completed in October 1902 stated that,

“Mr W. Slatem has a property on the corner of Kirk and Delver Street, Johannesburg and has submitted a claim for the furniture and tools looted from his home. Initially the Military Board rejected his claim but evidence points to the fact that the looting took place after British occupation. Various representatives have come forward saying that they have had dealings with him in the past and have always found him to be honest and straightforward and they know him to be a Carpenter well up to his work and in possession of the tools necessary for his occupation.

There is evidence to suggest that Slatem and his wife are a thoroughly honest old couple, not at all likely to claim for anything other than that which they had actually lost. With reference to the damages to the premises – Mr Slatem affected the repairs himself and claimed only the actual cost of the materials.

Slatem left the Transvaal on 6 October 1899 for Cape Town and returned on 20 January 1902. The damage to the building was trivial, consisting of broken windows, doors and locks. The furniture was considerably knocked about and smashed, and the claim appears reasonable. Tools – there is ample evidence that claimant had a good set of Carpenter’s tools. There is satisfactory evidence as to looting having taken place.”

As a final caveat to this story, Slatem was awarded an amount of £28 (2/3rds of the assessed claim) – this was paid out to him in July 1903. In his “Remarks in support of claim” he had stated,

“I am but a working man and all my earnings was put in my place. I left everything in order, doors and windows fastened and locked – and found on my return everything scattered broken and missing so that I have had to borrow money to enable me to replace the stolen goods, my bag of tools was worth at least thirty pounds being a complete kit of carpenters and joiners tools – and my loss occurred while I was serving in the Colonial Force and Imperial Service Corps.”

On 10 January 1908 he wrote from Johannesburg to the Under Colonial Secretary, Cape Town as follows,

“Sir

I understand that there is Prize Money due to certain men who served in the Basuto War of 1880-81.

I was Sergeant in C Troop, 3rd Cape Yeomanry, first under Captain Wright and afterwards under Captain P.G. Maynier. I served continuously in the Regt. from 1879-81

I hold the General Service Medal (Cape) 1879 but have not received the medal for 1881.
My Discharge papers are now lost but I trust you will find this in order.

Yours obediently

William Slatem”

On the 21st January he received confirmation that he was entitled to and would be paid £9.12.0.

There is no record of a medal, presumably the Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal, being issued to him.

Slatem was to live until the ripe old age of 80 passing away on 21 may 1922 at his residence, 8th Delarey St. Johannesburg. His occupation was that of Wagonmaker and he was survived by his wife, Eliza Charlotte Slatem and son John James Slatem. He had had an eventful life.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am but a working man... W. Slatem and his story 9 years 5 months ago #23526

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Very nice indeed, this gentleman is certainly not a character that springs to mind for SAMIF service, most unusual, moreover, it really was the generals "own" horse, he liked to enjoy the chance to pick "his" own men himself, people all too quickly tend to forget just how good this regiment actually was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

I am but a working man... W. Slatem and his story 9 years 5 months ago #23527

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Rory......

Another fantastic bit of research......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

I am but a working man... W. Slatem and his story 9 years 5 months ago #23538

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2151
Thanks chaps

I had fun researching Slatem - he must have been quite a character!

Regards

Rory

I am but a working man... W. Slatem and his story 9 years 5 months ago #23539

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Rory
According to the medal roll I have next to me, Sergeant W SLATEM was entitled to the South Africa Medal 1877-79 with the clasp "1879". The roll shows him as being a member of the 3rd Cape Mounted Yeomanry. There were a couple of articles about the Moirosi's Stronghold action in the ARMOURER magazine some time ago; I expect you know about them.
I agree with Frank concerning the quality of the lads in Brabant's Horse. It is a pity there was not a unit history between two covers.
Regards
IL.

I am but a working man... W. Slatem and his story 9 years 5 months ago #23542

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Rory (a bit later)
I had a look in the CofGH GSM roll for Cape Mounted Yeomanry and could not find your man listed under that unit. I suppose it is possible that he did not qualify for that medal.
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.198 seconds