Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Do You Know????? 9 years 10 months ago #20786

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Doug.....

Each person has a different opinion on cleaning medals..... Some leave them the way they are worn, others like me say that a Sergeant-Major would never let you appear on parade with dirty medals.....

The nice thing is that the polish I use does not contain any grit.... The cleaning compound is small bits of fiber-glass..... Also I have found that cleaning with this product leaves a coating of some kind that I have not re-cleaned many or the medals for the past 10 years.....

It is also for those who want to know an approved and used product by appointment to Her Majesty......

The name of the product which is made in England is Peek also known here as Flitz polish.....

Mike

P.S. One thing that I do do is to save the original ribbons and put them in the records file that I make up for each medal.....
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Do You Know????? 9 years 9 months ago #20831

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
Mike

Very interesting, I shall find some and see what happens. I also find it interesting what you say about the ribbons.

Also, it got me wondering what collectors do with their purchases. I just assumed that everyone would do something similar and want to display them in some way, but I do wonder. I have an off the shelf programme that I use which has a window for everything, which is very handy. I also keep files and like to have a printed version of anything and a soft copy. For display, I use standard picture frames of various sizes and cover the back with black felt and make up a label and display them that way.

I wonder what everyone else does, might be some great ideas out there?

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

Do You Know????? 9 years 9 months ago #20832

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Doug.....

I am afraid that I have run out of wall space in the Man Cave and She Who Must Be Obeyed will not allow me to put the overflow in the living room I have been using Ryker Frames with inserts......

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Do You Know????? 9 years 9 months ago #20833

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
Mike

You are lucky to have the man cave! Like you, I am not allowed to display anything as interesting as this where anyone can see them, around the house that is. I have mine displayed, in the frames, within book cabinets that have doors on them. There are always security issues with medals also, so I get that. When I am in the 'office' at home, the doors are always open :cheer:

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.506 seconds