Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Andy May Uniform Cards 8 years 11 months ago #41110

• DeanHall
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello David, its been some time since the last post. Im wondering if you ever received my e-mail with the pics. Anyhow if anyone is intrested in Andy's uniform cards of the 2nd Anglo Boer War they can contact me on deanhall.sa(at)gmail.com.

Thanks for a great website!

Best Regards,
Dean
The following user(s) said Thank You: dewi07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Andy May paintings 8 years 10 months ago #41120

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
Thank you for the reminder, Dean. Are the cards still sold in some retail outlets? The last ones I bought several years ago were at a curio shop near the Howick Falls.

Regards
Brett

Andy May paintings 8 years 10 months ago #41127

• DeanHall
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Brett, thanks for the reply. Since buying the originals as well as the copyrights from Andy I have been able to make smaller versions of the uniform cards available to some museums like Talana in Dundee and the War store in JHB. I do a bit of marketing in my spare time (of which there is not much) as I am involved full time in a family business. I must say the quality of the prints are much better than the previous ones as I have removed a lot of unwanted background marks and also named all the cards with a standard font. Please refer to the attached example (sorry the resolution on the picture is not the greatest). I am able to supply any of the sets listed in my previous post big or small upon request. You are welcome to e-mail me at deanhall.sa(at)gmail.com if there are any sets you still need. We can sort out the payment and logistics from there.
Many thanks,
Dean

Andy May paintings 8 years 10 months ago #41138

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
Many thanks, Dean.
Regards
Brett

Andy May paintings 8 years 2 months ago #44947

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49
Hi All

Just heard Andy May drowned in the Mzinduzi River on the 21st January 2016.

RIP Andy, your art works will be your memorial.

Brian

Andy May paintings 1 year 8 months ago #84528

• seven
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, I was a friend of Andy May through the 80's in South Africa. A bit of background information you might find interesting. Andy was a ships carpenter and sailed in the merchant marine. He taught himself how to draw and colour. He had settled in South Africa, and amongst other things he had a hand in the research/props for a South African TV series Shaka Zulu. He then joined the SADF, with the rank of sergeant, in the engineers (genie) He was posted to Fort Klapperkop, Pretoria as one of the staff. In those days the fort was an outstanding museum especially on the Boer War. He had great interest in colonial era uniforms and a great knowledge of uniforms and militaria in general, although his art work was not confined to the Victorian era. He had shown me his portfolio of uniform prints which was extensive. He recieved commisions from military museums in, I believe Australia and new Zealand. His other big interest was the American Civil War. Hope youy find this interesting.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.221 seconds