Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Metal shoulder titles 10 years 8 months ago #12873

• Madziro
  • Madziro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
Gents, thank you for the kind words. Paul I scan my badges on an old BenQ flatbed scanner which is able to "see" varying depths. Once this is done I then use photoshop to get rid of the shadows. I do this by hand and not by the quicker method using the photoshop magic wand tool. It takes a lot longer but is worth it in the long run for me as I play around with a bit of book writing on badges and illustrate them with my own collection. I use CorelDraw to lay the books out for printing.

Kind regards

Dudley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Metal shoulder titles 10 years 8 months ago #12875

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Mounted Infantry titles were worn in the Anglo Boer War by members of the relevant imperial mounted infantry units concerned, they were very well made little badges and to the best of my knowledge, were all made by Gaunt's in London, moreover, from memory, there were, one or two units that wore them after the war with the home service dress, back here, however, this does in no way detract, they are all quite scarce little items and only very seldom seen today, far rarer than the QSA's earned by members of the units themselves.
Attachments:

Metal shoulder titles 10 years 8 months ago #12879

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Frank

Is it just a coincidence that you have examples of the same two MI titles in Dudley's collection (2 & 6), or do have you more in your collection?

I suppose these titles are rare in South Africa because most went back to Britain with their owners.

Regards
Brett

Metal shoulder titles 10 years 8 months ago #12882

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
I just grabbed these as Dudley refered to those particular two, as far as badges and the regular British Army of the period goes, I have them several times over, but, I started when I was seven.
They used to turn up a lot in South Africa, but, then they all did, if you look at Dudley's original post in this thread, you will see the very handsome Dublin's shoulder title, in the 1970's and 1980's you could only get those in South Africa, many have appeared since for sale here, because, a small number of people have been out and just bought up all they could find.
What amazes me is the very high prices now being paid out for these in general, I don't really collect them now and yet when I recently went to a fair here, I was shocked by there value, would not like to have to start collecting anything from scratch these days though! :(
Kind regards Frank

Metal shoulder titles 10 years 8 months ago #12887

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Dudley,

That sounds like a good scanner, is it a Canon? I have looked around for these but the price has always stopped me.
You have done a good job in photoshop if you are editing by hand, a tricky business, well done!

Paul :)

Madziro wrote: Gents, thank you for the kind words. Paul I scan my badges on an old BenQ flatbed scanner which is able to "see" varying depths. Once this is done I then use photoshop to get rid of the shadows. I do this by hand and not by the quicker method using the photoshop magic wand tool. It takes a lot longer but is worth it in the long run for me as I play around with a bit of book writing on badges and illustrate them with my own collection. I use CorelDraw to lay the books out for printing.

Kind regards

Dudley

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Metal shoulder titles 10 years 8 months ago #12903

• Madziro
  • Madziro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
Hullo Paul

Thanks for the kind words. I use an old BenQ scanner. They are no longer made. The new scanners do not have the ability to scan "depth". The clean up of shadows is by hand. It takes a bit of time but the results are good.

I have attached images of the 6MI title that I have. One can possibly see the Gaunt stamp on the back. I have had a number of these including 1MI but have swopped them prior to realising that they were "nice to have"!

Regards

Dudley

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.540 seconds