Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Uniform Identification 2 years 1 week ago #82561

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Great research, Dave. Well done for also reading 500 thankyous in so short a time.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Uniform Identification 2 years 1 week ago #82581

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Cathy
I have been looking for any similarities regarding your uniform request. Unfortunately, I cannot see anything like it pertaining to the Army Hospital Corps. This makes me think that the image is possibly another line regiment or milita Battalion. The crossed rifles is a qualification badge which indicates reaching a level of marksmanship (and it could be company or battalion level).
It meant that you had achieved a certain level (score) of marksmanship in annual training. Different grades = 1st, class, 2nd class, 3rd class. etc.
Also the inssignia worn by Instructors of Musketry, though in Victorian times I believe they had a crown above the badge.

I am certainly no uniform expert, as I failed miserably on your photograph,  but in my humble opinion, the picture you posted does not refer to your Great Grandfathers AHC. Unfortunately, I have had no luck on pinning down the uniform to any regiment at present.
I do hope there is  forum uniform expert who can shine some light on your question?  I have enclosed a selection of images regarding the A H C uniforms. These range from 1876 until 1884. I think you mentioned your G Grandfather was in Natal in 1881? He may have been engaged in the First Boer War. 1st enclosed picture is of Joseph John Farmer who was a V C winner and served with the A H C, I would imagine your G Grandfather would have worn a similar uniform?
Apologies for not being able to solve your question, but I do hope the forum has helped a little regarding the uniforms worn by the A H C

Dave.....

Circa 1881

Circa 1883 /4

Circa 1878
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Uniform Identification 2 years 1 week ago #82589

• CatherineCoomber
  • CatherineCoomber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Dave
Thank you for trying to help me
Do you think the photo that Spencer put on here looks like the uniform in my photo?
I know William Brown served in the AH Corps as I have a medal of his and it states on his children's Birth Certificates but maybe I am jumping to the wrong conclusion that it is my Great Grandfather and it is someone else

Could I possibly use your extensive knowledge or do you only deal with the Boer War?

I am now wondering if it could be my Grandfather Ernest Herbert Browne who was in the Royal Engineers Number 28247
Cathy

Uniform Identification 2 years 1 week ago #82590

• Dave F
Hello Cathy
I don't think Spener's G Grandfathers uniform is the same. The only similarities are the folding side cap and the marksmanship insignia. I'm sure your image is not a scarlet tunic, whereas the Sherwood Foresters looks to be scarlet.
As for your Royal Engineers question, if you would like to Private message me as many details regarding Ernest Herbert Brown I would be happy to have a look for any info if available. I think his regimental number pertains to him having joined in February 1894.

Dave....
Best regards,
Dave

Uniform Identification 2 years 1 week ago #82591

• CatherineCoomber
  • CatherineCoomber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Dave
I don't know how to private message you
Cathy

Uniform Identification 2 years 1 week ago #82592

• Dave F
Hi Cathy
I have just sent you a message via your email you used to set up your ABW forum question.

Dave....
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: CatherineCoomber

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.372 seconds