Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Artillery and Ammunition 1 year 1 month ago #88932

• Neville_C
  • Neville_C's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1991
75 mm Krupp BL Segment and Shrapnel Shells

Base Markings

The bases of two OVS 75 mm Krupp BL shells - segment on the left and shrapnel on the right. The segment shell was picked up by Lieut. Hugh Steuart Gladstone at Christiana, and the shrapnel base is from Kimberley.

Both were brought home during the conflict, so have not suffered from corrosion. The rough nature of the surface of the left-hand example reflects the fact that the cast iron of the segment shell has not been machined. The base of the shrapnel shell, on the other hand, has been finished with a lathe.

Each has an inspection mark on the central base plug in the form of a monogram. These at first appeared to be the same, but, on closer examination, I believe the segment shell stamp reads "AG" and that on the shrapnel round "MG".

In this image of the Kimberley shrapnel shell the edge of the base plug is just visible between the "MG" inspection stamp and the numeral "II", where it cuts through another small mark. A barely discernible hollow indicates where the plug has been finished with a lathe, a process that has also shaved away part of the figure "8". This shows that at least some of the base stamps were added before the shell was completed.

More on base plugs and the manufacture of segment shells HERE

The cast markings on the base of the segment shell are much less distinct, with only the punched inspection mark having any clarity.

A second pair of 75 mm Krupp BL segment and shrapnel shells, showing the same characteristics, but with different production/inspection marks.

SEE ALSO: Krupp Segment Shells

75 mm Krupp BL segment and shrapnel shells side by side. Both brought home as trophies by Lieut. Hugh Steuart Gladstone, 3rd Bn. King's Own Scottish Borderers. The former picked up at Christiana, the latter from Magersfontein.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Artillery and Ammunition 1 year 1 month ago #89088

• OJD
  • Thank you received: 20
Recently acquired this 2nd Boer War souvenir item - I am not sure what the lead ball is . . . shrapnel, or musket ball ammunition (but surely no muskets used in Boer war)? It has been given a gold (?) cradle and loop suspension, for necklace I presume. Anyway thought I would post here as not seen one before. Size and weight shown in the pictures.

Owen

OMRS 8188
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C, Moranthorse1

Artillery and Ammunition 1 year 1 month ago #89091

• Neville_C
Owen,

This appears to be a shrapnel bullet that has been mounted as a watch fob. From its weight and diameter, it could be from a variety of types of shell, including those used with British 12 & 15-pdr guns, Boer 75 mm Creusot QFs, and Boer 120 mm Krupp Howitzers. A positive identification would depend on knowing what proportion of the 13.86 g is in the gold mount. See below for dimensions, etc.

British shot tend to have "nipples", a product of the casting process (clearly visible on the right side of example "C").

In addition to those listed below, the Boer 120 mm Krupp Howitzer used bullets that weighed in at "41 per lb" (c. 11 g each).

Reposted from earlier ...

Four types of shrapnel bullet:

A. British 15-pdr BL - "35 balls per lb"; c. 13 g each (Cronje's laager, Paardeberg)
B. Boer 155 mm Creusot "Long Tom" - c. 24 g each (Caesar's Camp, Ladysmith)
C. British 4.7-in QF - "14 balls per lb"; c. 32 g each (Cronje's laager, Paardeberg)
D. Boer 75 mm Creusot QF - "45 per lb"; c. 10 g each (Horseshoe Hill, Tugela)

Note the difference in oxidation. The Creusot shot had a much higher lead content than the British bullets, resulting in a distinctive white coating of lead oxide.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, OJD

Artillery and Ammunition 1 year 1 month ago #89093

• OJD
  • Thank you received: 20
Thank you so much Neville and especially for doing the maths - not being able to separate the gold to determine its weight but estimating it to be circa 2+g, it seems that your 'D': Boer 75 mm Creusot QF - "45 per lb"; c. 10 g each (Horseshoe Hill, Tugela) must be a fair bet. And watch fob makes sense.

Owen
OMRS 8188

Artillery and Ammunition 1 year 1 month ago #89094

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 767
I haven't seen other examples of a shrapnel ball mounted in gold, so I asssume this one was removed from a wound, or found lodged in a boot, pouch, etc. I've read several references to soldiers in South Africa treasuring the bits of metal which nearly killed them. I agree with Neville that Boer field gun shrapnel is neater, smaller, and lacks the sprue; in red soil I haven't seen the white lead oxide coating, however.
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, OJD

Artillery and Ammunition 1 year 1 month ago #89103

• Neville_C
Below is a selection of gold and silver-mounted shrapnel bullets I have picked up over the years. All weights include the gold or silver mounts.

A. British 15-pdr - "Ladysmith. Nov'r 24th 1899" (13.56 g)
B. British 15-pdr - "SPION KOP" (13.71 g)
C. British 15-pdr - "SPION KOP" (13.97 g)
D. British 15-pdr - "SPION KOP 23-1-00" (14.02 g)
E. Boer 75 mm Krupp (?) - "KIMBERLEY SIEGE 1899-1900" (10.75 g)
F. Unknown (completely encased in silver) - "Ladysmith / 1.3.1900" (16.73 g)
G. Boer 155 mm Creusot (? - no guns of this calibre were engaged at Wepener) - "Wepener" (23.75 g)

My guess is that most of these were souvenirs sold to early battlefield tourists. For example, the mounting of the Kimberley bullet is reminiscent of the work seen on the Krupp segment shell and driving band pendants & brooches that regularly come to the market.

The specific dates on "A" and "F" suggest these are souvenirs of particular events or "close shaves", and were therefore probably brought home by soldiers as mementoes.
Also, the Wepener bullet is likely to have been mounted as a watch fob by a participant in the siege or relief of that town. Souvenir makers were more likely to commemorate the better known battles and sieges, and the mounting and engraving on this fob seems uncharacteristically crude for a commercial souvenir.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob D, Moranthorse1, pfireman, OJD

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.931 seconds