Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Artillery experts? 2 years 10 months ago #76493

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
So, looking at the replies Rob, the mountain gun theory is out. The Hotchkiss remains the favourite. However, the angle of the image shown is muddying the water regarding scale. The mention of the frontal muzzle sight in the picture scuppers the mountain gun theory as sight was at the rear of the barrel. The 3 pound QF Hotchkiss seems to be a contender. The images enclosed show a naval 3 pounder Hotchkiss and Hotchkiss mountain gun. No frontal muzzle sight to be seen except for the mountain variant which is a smaller calibre . My question is, was this sight fixed or movable? The Ladysmith image of the 3 pounder has no front muzzle sight either. Artillery expert I'm not, as a matter of fact the last time I let rip with a cannon, was with a 25 & 30 mm Bushmaster, but that's another story in another life and most definitely for another Forum.:woohoo:
If you check out www.samilitaryhistoryorg.
There is a journal of Guns in South Africa 1899-1902 by Major Darrell D Hall. Interesting read and images. Parts 1,2 & 3.
Although having looked at all the images and details, I'm still none the wiser regarding your Natal Artillery picture. B)
Also, check out this site
www.gracesguide.co.uk/Hotchkiss
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds