Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Sheet brass title: Gorringe's Flying Column. 7 years 4 months ago #50116

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
Forum members
Shown here is a title, formed out of sheet brass c.35 thou thick and having lugs/loops much like those of the CDF title. In terms of design, this one is a bit fancier; it does bear slight traces of gilding.
Sheer blind luck must have played a part in IL chancing on this title. He had just obtained a QSA to Gorringe's Flying Column (clasps Cape Colony and S.A.1901) at reasonable cost on a famous, on-line auction site when, a day or so later, the illustrated title was found in the bottom of a box of WW1 badges.

Stirling does not feature Gorringe's Flying Column as such. However, its C.O. was a man with a formidable career pre 1899. Conan Doyle relates that, " In the spring of 1901 in Cape Colony, Kritzinger's commando broke into many bands ...... and to hunt down these numerous and active bodies the British were compelled to put many similar detachments into the field - known as the columns of Gorringe, etc. These two sets of miniature armies performed an intricate devil's dance over the Colony". The main body of Boers was "hustled with loss of men and great shedding of horses". When the Boers slipped into Steynsburg district, Gorringe's Colonials took up the running and inflicted heavy losses on them on 13/8/1901.
GFC were also known as "Gorringe's Light Oxen". Unsure exactly why. Perhaps the nickname was a jibe at the expense of those of Gorringe's lads had worn out their horses and had to travel on commandeered ox carts? One officer of the GFC does comment that in the three months between January and April, 1901 each of his men "used up" an average of ten horses.
Regards to all
IL.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sheet brass title: Gorringe's Flying Column. 7 years 4 months ago #50118

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
IL
Thank you for a very interesting post. I know little about the war in the Cape Colony and it does seems to have been a lot more complex and hard-won than I had realised.
Recognising the GFC title was indeed serendipitous! There may be many such treasures waiting to be discovered by the right person at the right time.
Regards
Brett

Sheet brass title: Gorringe's Flying Column. 7 years 4 months ago #50129

• RoyS
  • Thank you received: 18
Linneyl,

Well yet another really splendid little badge there, gosh what a find indeed, well done!

Thank you for the additional details. These lesser known units and badges are quite intriguing and certainly worth looking out for. I'm excited to see what you come up with next!

Cheerio,

Roy

Collecting/wanted ABW insignia if anyone has some spares?

My website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

Sheet brass title: Gorringe's Flying Column. 7 years 4 months ago #50209

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
"Chancing" Ian, please explain?

LinneyI wrote: Forum members
Shown here is a title, formed out of sheet brass c.35 thou thick and having lugs/loops much like those of the CDF title. In terms of design, this one is a bit fancier; it does bear slight traces of gilding.
Sheer blind luck must have played a part in IL chancing on this title. He had just obtained a QSA to Gorringe's Flying Column (clasps Cape Colony and S.A.1901) at reasonable cost on a famous, on-line auction site when, a day or so later, the illustrated title was found in the bottom of a box of WW1 badges.

Stirling does not feature Gorringe's Flying Column as such. However, its C.O. was a man with a formidable career pre 1899. Conan Doyle relates that, " In the spring of 1901 in Cape Colony, Kritzinger's commando broke into many bands ...... and to hunt down these numerous and active bodies the British were compelled to put many similar detachments into the field - known as the columns of Gorringe, etc. These two sets of miniature armies performed an intricate devil's dance over the Colony". The main body of Boers was "hustled with loss of men and great shedding of horses". When the Boers slipped into Steynsburg district, Gorringe's Colonials took up the running and inflicted heavy losses on them on 13/8/1901.
GFC were also known as "Gorringe's Light Oxen". Unsure exactly why. Perhaps the nickname was a jibe at the expense of those of Gorringe's lads had worn out their horses and had to travel on commandeered ox carts? One officer of the GFC does comment that in the three months between January and April, 1901 each of his men "used up" an average of ten horses.
Regards to all
IL.

Sheet brass title: Gorringe's Flying Column. 7 years 4 months ago #50213

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
Frank!
"Chancing"; a term I have used for a while now to describe something that causes an event that can't be foreseen. There it was; on old cotton bag and, peeking into it, IL saw a jumble of WW1/WW2/misc. badges. "I don't collect them" - but the bag was upturned anyway. Right at the bottom the GFC title! Sheer chance at work.
Best regards
IL.

Sheet brass title: Gorringe's Flying Column. 7 years 4 months ago #50226

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 363
This is the other variant shown in Owen (2123). Yours is 2124 I think.

Paul
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.339 seconds