• Page:

TOPIC:

PCANSR Nursing badge 6 years 9 months ago #53869

• ebomvu
  • ebomvu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Re: G ROBERTS. Hello again. I have very recently located a great grand-niece who assures me that Nurse G Roberts was Grace Roberts - Born Hobart Tasmania on 16th April 1864 - NOT Gertrude as was heretofore assumed.. She must have enlisted in the PCANSR in London where her two brothers and sisters were living. Her eldest brother George Quinlin Roberts was a Doctor in London (probably working at St Thomas Hospital) at the time. At the moment I cannot ascertain if she returned to Tasmania or the UK or just stayed on in South Africa. Medal rolls reveal that she had worked at number 14 Stationary Hospital in Pietermaritzburg and later at Number 7 General Hospital in Pretoria. Any assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

PCANSR Nursing badge 6 years 9 months ago #53871

• boerwarnurses
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi,

She appears on:

WO 100/229 QSA Medal Roll p54 created at No7 General Hospital, Pretoria; dated August 7, 1901
WO 100/229 QSA Medal Roll p115 created at No14 Stationary Hospital, Maritzburg; dated January 28, 1902
WO 100/353 KSA Medal Roll p4 created at Pretoria; dated March 19, 1903

and in The London Gazette, July 29, 1902; p4853
but not on the Nominal Roll for September 1900, so that might help with timelines.

If she had travelled to South Africa she is more likely to have become a Locally Employed nurse, so my money would be on her travelling to the UK and joining there.

Cheers
Keiron
Researching Nurses in the Boer War 1899-1902
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, ebomvu

PCANSR Nursing badge 5 years 11 months ago #58169

• ebomvu
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I have ascertained that Gertrude Roberts was in fact NOT Gertrude but Grace Roberts born Tasmania in 1864. I obtained this information via a great grand niece. She probably enlisted in London with the PCANSR. She was mentioned in Lord Roberts' final despatches in 1902.

PCANSR Nursing badge 5 years 8 months ago #59728

• ebomvu
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello once again. Still on the track of PCANSR badge list. I have drawn a blank with the British army museum in Chelsea. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the 1 - 820 list ?

I have traced her origins. She was in fact Grace Roberts not Gertrude. I got this information from her great grand niece. She was born in Hobart in 1864 and would have been in London at the outbreak of the ABW. her brother was a well-known doctor at St Thomas and instrumental in getting the Florence Nightingale monument erected in London. He would have steered his sister Grace to the PCANSR.

There must be somerecords or history of the PCANSR out there or ...a book to be written?

Regards Victor

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.730 seconds