TOPIC:

Uniform Query 9 years 1 month ago #26089

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Frank,

Would that be a Glengarry badge then?

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Anita,
Yes, that is certainly of the period and was only withdrawn in 1914 because of the Great War, an Infantryman, Home Service Dress, but, prior to 1902.
Do you actually know who this man was?
Regards Frank Kelley

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Uniform Query 9 years 1 month ago #26090

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Certainly a badge on a glengarry, Paul!

Uniform Query 9 years 1 month ago #26091

• Frank Kelley
Hello Anita,
Looking at the photograph, my own thoughts are, Army, rather than Militia, I would suggest the colour of the facings is actually white, given the glengarry, I would suggest the picture is prior to 1897-98, the tunic, I was tempted to use the word frock, but, it does have seven buttons rather than five, it would have been scarlet, but, without a clear close up of the shoulder, collar and the glengarry itself, I will not stick my neck out any further, the all important detail is a little blurred.
Notwithstanding, a very young man, very much, Tommy Atkins, we are certainly "in the ball park" regarding the Anglo Boer War, again, do you know who this man was?
Certainly, a really lovely image.
Kind regards Frank Kelley

Uniform Query 9 years 1 month ago #26094

• Anita
  • Anita's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Frank
The gentleman in the photo is a grand uncle. Either George Underwood or Frederick Underwood. They were both killed in action in WW1. George was with the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry & Frederick with Bedfordshire Regiment,8th batallion. However, once i started to investigate to discover which one of them was in the photo it became a long investigative journey! I've been told the uniform is of neither Regiments Looking through a magnifying glass the cap badge looks like it has 3 plumes similar to the Royal Welsh fusilliers. The photo was taken by a W S Spanton of Bury St Edmunds who retired & sold his photographic business in 1901 which led me then to think maybe the photo was linked to the Boer War rather than the Great War. If you think it's an Infantrymans uniform then maybe it is George.
Regards Anita

Uniform Query 9 years 1 month ago #26098

• Frank Kelley
Okay, the uniform is, as stated, prior to the Anglo Boer War, in those days, on their glengarries, the RWF did not wear a helmet plate centre, they actually wore a grenade, but, other two regiments certainly did, the Oxfordshire Light Infantry wore a bugle with strings, the Bedfordshire Regiment wore a Maltese Cross upon a star, do you know the date the two gentleman were actually born, if both were killed in the Great War as opposed to being mortally wounded, then it is very unlikely that any papers have survived, men could and did transfer to other regiments once into their service, the names are common ones, you could try looking through WO97 and comparing anything found there with what you actually know to be fact in terms of their family details, but, I would think that would be hoping for a little too much

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.621 seconds