• Militia Man
  • Militia Man's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0

djb wrote: There are some papers for Angus McIver

MCIVER ANGUS born 1885, Mig, Stornway, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland

Sir,

Thank you very much for the details that you have been able to find and share with me. I do believe that you have got farther in a couple of days than I have managed in years.

The 2nd Seaforths served in South Africa In the Boer War. Some of the names you have provided are connected with the Seaforth Highlanders and deserve further scrutiny. If, as they say, he ran away from home to enlist, it may be just as likely that he might have joined up with a Unit in which he would feel confident of not coming across servicemen from his own part of the country, who enlisted predominately in the Seaforths, particularly at this period, in the 3rd Militia Battalion of the Seaforth Highlanders, indeed that is the Unit in which his gallant brother enlisted and served. That was why I attached so much significance to identifying the uniform.

The 1st and 3rd Seaforth Highlanders served in Egypt and the Sudan 1899 -1902. The family took it for granted that the uniform is that of the 3rd and that if he did see action it would have been in Egypt and the Sudan. This, as I have suggested above, could be wrong.

The name and details in your most recent post, quoted, is the most promising lead I have yet seen or been able to find for myself . The name, age, Parish and County are spot on, which should narrow the list down. Not sure what 'Mig' means though, may need help on that one.

Not sure if there might be further clues in the papers you mention that could put the question beyond doubt, eg. to how many in the lists provided do the above age, Parish and County apply? would there be a village name or next of kin? Unless it would it be a breach of any rule or regulation perhaps a pointer in the direction of where those papers might be perused would be helpful if no further details can be divulged here.

Thanks again for your time and effort, much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds