Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Photo: Boer War Uniform ? 9 years 8 months ago #22193

• saxon
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi, just came across this apparently on the continent, looks like the same coat.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tworitas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Photo: Boer War Uniform ? 9 years 8 months ago #22196

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Okay, so you are saying that he was 53 years old when he died, that photograph cannot have taken before October 1914, he does not look that old to me, so that means he was over the age limit, with a name like that, it has to be the Munster's, interestingly, there was a John O'Mahoney born in 1862 who enlisted into the Militia, the 3rd Munster's in 1888, could be him I suppose.

Tworitas wrote: John O'Mahoney
From Crut/ CastleComber Ireland near Tralee.
Born in 1862.
Died 1915 Buried in Tralee.

Photo: Boer War Uniform ? 9 years 8 months ago #22198

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
The Royal Munster Fusiliers depot was at Tralee, and the shape of its badge would be like the one in the photo ( see my earlier post). The WW1 medal rolls show two men of this name in the regiment, numbers 7731 and 9840. Both were privates. I don't know if our man was a war casualty or had been discharged and died later for some other reason, but nobody of that name and regiment appears in the records of those who died in the war. The man in the photo does look to be in his 50's and obviously a sergeant major would have had to have some service. Could he have been discharged and later re-enlisted as a private when the war started? Even if this was the case I doubt that he would have stayed a private for long, but the MIC cards are both for privates.

This is based on a quick Ancestry search and there may be more info in other sources.

Still can't make the riding breeches fit!

Patrick

Photo: Boer War Uniform ? 9 years 8 months ago #22221

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
If you are sure about his place of birth, you can forget the man I mentioned because whilst he was born in 1862, his place of birth was Cork, I was hopeful when I saw him.
To be quite honest, there is not that many possible men from that particular regiment really, are you quite sure about the "O" in his surname?
What else do you know about him that is actual fact?

Frank Kelley wrote: Okay, so you are saying that he was 53 years old when he died, that photograph cannot have taken before October 1914, he does not look that old to me, so that means he was over the age limit, with a name like that, it has to be the Munster's, interestingly, there was a John O'Mahoney born in 1862 who enlisted into the Militia, the 3rd Munster's in 1888, could be him I suppose.

Tworitas wrote: John O'Mahoney
From Crut/ CastleComber Ireland near Tralee.
Born in 1862.
Died 1915 Buried in Tralee.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.770 seconds