Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Siege of Beaconsfield Childrens Medal 2 years 11 months ago #76495

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Please find attached a Boxed tribute medal as just added to the collection:

Form: Circular. Silver medal suspended from a claw mount with ring for a ribbon. White metal medal pierced with a ring and a second to link the medal to a long narrow red-white-blue ribbon tied in a bow.

By: Spink & Son, London
Date: 1900

Ref: AM: 24; Hern: 62; Laidlaw: 0188;
Size Metal - Mass
38.7mm - White Metal - 15.0gm
Edge: Plain.

Obverse: The full-figure of the Roman Goddess Pax extending an olive branch in her right hand, cradling a cornucopia in her left and standing on a small plinth. Beneath in an arc: “PEACE”. Legend above: “CHILDREN’S MEDAL PRESENTED BY THE TOWN COUNCIL” and below between stops: “1900”.

Reverse: Coat of Arms of Beaconsfield with motto: “FORTI NIHIL DIFFICILE (nothing difficult for the strong)” on a ribbon below. Legend above: “SIEGE OF BEACONSFIELD” and below: “♦ 14 OCTOBER 1899 ♦ 15 FEBRUARY 1900 ♦”

Notes: Comes in a square white cardboard box. On the inside of the lid, a label: "SPINK AND SON / Die Sinkers & Medallists / LONDON.

At the outset of the South African War the residential township of Beaconsfield and the town of Kimberly, were besieged by Boer forces because of local diamond mining and their strategic location on the railway line from the Cape to the north. The siege lasted for four months without surrender before relief came from a British cavalry detachment led by General French.

The medal was commissioned by the Mayor of Beaconsfield, Mr J.M. Pratley. The white metal medal was presentation to the children of all races in the township. The presentation ceremony was delayed until the end of 1901 because of the war continued longer than had been anticipated; even then the “Peace” celebrated by the medal was still several months away.

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobCT, BereniceUK, Moranthorse1, leninde

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Siege of Beaconsfield Childrens Medal 2 years 11 months ago #76539

• Nwilson67
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm not sure I'm in the right place but I have just had a Incorporated Law Society Tribute Bronze medal 1902 left to me by my mother who has recently passed away, any news about the medal would be appreciated. Thanks

Siege of Beaconsfield Childrens Medal 2 years 11 months ago #76540

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879

Nwilson67 wrote: I'm not sure I'm in the right place but I have just had a Incorporated Law Society Tribute Bronze medal 1902 left to me by my mother who has recently passed away, any news about the medal would be appreciated. Thanks

Please take a look at this thread it has the history of the Law Society medal.....

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/20-tribute-me...te-medallion?start=6

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nwilson67

Siege of Beaconsfield Childrens Medal 2 years 3 months ago #80663

• leninde
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi..
Was wondering if anyone has any information on the silver version of the Beaconsfield medal? I heard only 9 were made and given to the Beaconsfield councilors.. but not sure why would only make for them and not others.. thanks.. Len
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobCT

Siege of Beaconsfield Childrens Medal 2 years 3 months ago #80669

• RobCT
  • Thank you received: 181
The following is copied from my notes.

RobM

Single - Beaconsfield medal. Silver unnamed (as issued to Councillors) and White Metal unnamed as issued to school children.

Beaconsfield (formerly known as Du Toit’s Pan) is nowadays a suburb of Kimberley. At the time of the Boer War however, Beaconsfield was a separate borough from Kimberley and was only amalgamated with the latter as the City of Kimberley in 1912.

Much to the indignation of its inhabitants, Kekewich originally excluded Beaconsfield from his plans for the defence but faced by a very strong and indignant protest, he was forced to provide for the defence of that place, though independently of the main defensive enclosure.

The Beaconsfield Siege Medal was commissioned in 1900 by the Mayor of Beaconsfield, Capt. C.A. Blackbeard, probably at the same time that the Mayor of Kimberley, Mr. H.A. Olivier, commissioned the Kimberley Medal. Some 1500 medals were struck in white metal but it would seem that the silver issue was limited to 9 pieces.

The white metal medals, presented to school children of all races on 23 October 1901, were pierced at 12 o’clock and suspended via two thin metal rings from a narrow red, white and blue ribbon. Parents were required to fill in an application form to obtain the medal for children.

The Sterling silver medal was struck from the same dies but was fitted with a claw and ring suspension (identical to that of the Yorkshire Imperial Yeomanry Medal) with a 65mm wide, red, white and blue ribbon. The names of the 9 Councilors (including the Mayor and Town Clerk), who received silver Beaconsfield medals, are recorded in the Beaconsfield Town Council Minutes of 27 November, 1900. Some townspeople expressed a belated desire to also have an example of the silver medal. The Town Clerk was therefore instructed to collect names and prepayments with the object of placing a second order if sufficient numbers were requested. The subsequent Minutes however, make no further mention of the issue and it might be assumed that no further silver examples were ordered. Although most examples of the white metal medal issued to school children encountered are not in perfect condition they are relatively common and an example may be found with little difficulty. The silver issue is rare, however the number of examples encountered suggests that the striking was not limited to just 9 medals.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, leninde

Siege of Beaconsfield Childrens Medal 2 years 3 months ago #80696

• leninde
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Rob.. thank you for the info.. much appreciated.. I have also seen the medals commission attributed to a Mr J.M. Pratley who was also suppose to be a Mayor of Beaconsfield around the same time. (see:https://www.southafricanmedals.com/index2.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=358&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1) .. so I am bit confused as to who really commissioned the medal at present :) best regards, Len.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobCT

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.246 seconds