TOPIC:

Ashton in Makerfield Tribute Medal 4 years 1 month ago #68264

• scotts
  • scotts's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
HI,

I recently opened a Victorian safe that was in my garden when I bought a house and in it I found a rose gold chain with a pocket watch and on the end of the watch chain was a tribute medal with the words,

Presented to trooper J.Kay by his ashton friends in recognition of his services in the boer war 1901-2
There is also a number stamped on it Rd 382289 and a makers mark that I think is WHJ

It is a very lovely piece and I am wondering if anyone would have any information on the soldier in question?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ashton in Makerfield Tribute Medal 4 years 1 month ago #68266

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Scotts
Welcome to the Forum. Over the years I have had a number of "lucky finds"; nothing however, like the one you describe. To commence your quest, it might be a good idea to do a title search on previous owners of the property. That might give you a bit of a start. Now, a bit of a guess here - but there is a chance that your "Tpr. J.Kay" served in the Imperial Yeomanry. On that chance, I had a look in my useful Imperial Yeomanry CD and there are five men named "J.Kay" - three with the rank "Trooper" and two as "Private". In reality, no distinction.
Their names are = J.F.Kay, James Kay, Jervis Dore Kay, John Kay and John Roland Kay. I would suggest you do a name search through one of the commercial sites and see if any of them came from the area of your house. A long shot - but they sometimes hit the mark.
As a matter of interest, there are a number of men named "J.Kay" in the Regular Cavalry.
Please let us know of your success or otherwise. Even if you draw a blank, you are extremely fortunate in chancing on such a personal item; something that the recipient clearly treasured.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Ashton in Makerfield Tribute Medal 4 years 1 month ago #68267

• scotts
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for getting back to me,
I have included some photos of what I found.

I will look through the deeds and try to return it to the family of the trooper.

I very much appreciate your assistance and I shall keep you updated.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE

Ashton in Makerfield Tribute Medal 4 years 1 month ago #68268

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Scotts,

Welcome to the Forum.

Certainly a very unusual and interesting find with something of a quest to discover who this man was.

I would agree with IL that this is possibly someone in the Imperial Yeomanry rather than the regular army and there are a few J Kays as possibilities.

Can you upload a picture of the other side of the 'Ashton' medallion please? Also, what is the inscription on the circular medal please?
Dr David Biggins

Ashton in Makerfield Tribute Medal 4 years 1 month ago #68276

• scotts
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

Thanks for getting back to me,

The large medal is an award for a flower competition in 1910 sponsored by dobbies seed company. The smaller medals are St. Helens bowling club medals from 1927 and 1928

Regards

Scott
Attachments:

Ashton in Makerfield Tribute Medal 4 years 1 month ago #68277

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 363
I would put my money on this chap.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.628 seconds