Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Montgomeryshire IY Tribute Medal 1 year 6 months ago #85954

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 363
I have an example with suspension named to 34618 Tpr J R Williams, 89th Coy IY. He returned home from SA on 3rd September 1902 and would have presumably been at the presentation on 6th September. The suspension is different to that seen in the Noonan's sale.

I have one boxed example

This is accompanied by a QSA to 8288 Pte H S Cleaver, 49th Coy IY, discharged 16th April 1901.

The presentation of the QSAs by the King and subsequent presentation of the tributes is recorded in The Historical Records of the Yeomanry and Volunteers of Montgomeryshire 1803-1908

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Neville_C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Montgomeryshire IY Tribute Medal 1 year 6 months ago #85955

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1992
Thank you Paul,

I like the "TROOPER J.R. WILLIAMS" engraved suspension a lot. It really adds to the medal.

I'm not sure whether this is a coincidence, but all the examples I have seen with suspension have been to members of the 88th & 89th Companies, who received their medals on 6 Sep 1902.

Neville

Montgomeryshire IY Tribute Medal 5 months 3 weeks ago #92699

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (5) Orange Free State, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902, Cape Colony, Transvaal, clasps mounted in this order with unofficial rivets between SA02 and CC clasps (25462 Pte D. Jones. 31st. Coy. Imp: Yeo:);
British War and Victory Medals (1031 Sjt. D. Jones. Welsh R.)

Together with a Montgomeryshire Imperial Yeomanry Tribute Medal 1901, 38mm, bronze, the obverse featuring the arms of Montgomeryshire, ‘Montgomeryshire Imperial Yeomanry’ around, the reverse featuring a mounted trooper with a soldier knelt firing a rifle at his side, ‘South African Campaign 1901’ around, unnamed, with ring suspension, minor edge bruising.

D Jones attested for the Imperial Yeomanry and served with the 31st (Montgomeryshire) Company, 9th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry in South Africa during the Boer War.

See Neville's page on the Montgomeryshire Tribute Medal
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.978 seconds