Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Scottish National Red Cross Hospital 4 years 6 months ago #66452

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

Henk Loots wrote: Hi Mike & others
The name is James Miller
Henk

Thanks Henk, just wanted to check name against QSA I have just in case..... Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Scottish Red Cross Medals 3 years 2 months ago #74746

• Opcom
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
The star shaped medal was issued by St. Andrews Ambulance Association, the Scottish equivalent of St. Johns, but no where near as old as St. Johns. The Association has existed sine the second half of the 19th Century (1882). Since 1967, it has been the sole provider of ambulance service in Scotland and under National Health (!974) is known as the Scottish Ambulance Service.I do not believe it served with the Scottish Red Cross Hospital during the Boer War, although individual members may have served. It's first real mobilization was during WW I. Within 48 hours of war being declared, the Corps was able to entirely staff all of Scotland's military hospitals, freeing the regular staff for service. In addition to this, St Andrew's were also able to assemble two Foreign Service Units (which served in France and in hospital ships), a Military Nursing Service (using females Corps members) and a transport service alongside the British Red Cross attending to wounded soldiers from hospital trains It's a great piece to have.

Scottish Red Cross Medals 7 months 4 weeks ago #91779

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1991
Below is a photograph of a microscope, presented to 1st Class Orderly David Robertson MITCHELL, Scottish National Red Cross Hospital, on his departure for the front.
Silver plaque engraved: "PRESENTED / TO / D.R. Mitchell / BY A FEW FRIENDS ON THE OCCASION / OF HIS / LEAVING CLYDEBANK / FOR MEDICAL SERVICE / IN THE / SOUTH AFRICAN WAR. / 16TH MAY 1900".
Instrument with maker's label: "J. LIZARS, MANUFACTURING OPITICIAN. GLASGOW: 101 & 107, BUCHANAN STREET; LONDON: 20, HIGH HOLBORN, W.C.; EDINBURGH: 2 & 4, MAITLAND STREET; BELFAST: 73, VICTORIA STREET; ABERDEEN: 28, BRIDGE STREET".

The entry for Dr Mitchell in the 1942 Medical Directory reads: "M.B., Ch.B., Glas 1904; (Univ. & Anderson Coll. Glas.); Hon. Surg. Newquay Hosp.; Admiralty Surg. & Agent; Certif. Fact. Surg.; late Hon. Surg. Pontypool Hosp." He died on 28 January 1946.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.701 seconds