Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

More Family history 1 year 6 months ago #86533

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1181
With reference to the following

Also, there is a 1911 census which records a Sydney Mayes who was a part time farm labourer and a publican of the Horseshoe Inn at East Dereham.
He was married to Florence and had 2 children Sydney Frederick and Nellie Florence Mayes.
Not sure if this is your man?

This chap is another Sydney/ Sidney Mayes. His father was called Frederick.
Sorry for the confusion Don.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Don

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More Family history 1 year 6 months ago #86534

• Don
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
I was thinking that this may explain his absence from any known records between the war and 1915!

More Family history 1 year 6 months ago #86539

• Kitty55
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi
I'm here just busy at present writing and researching about shops in Dereham - that's the trouble being a local town historian - there's so many subjects and facets to it - having said that, it's why I love doing it so much. However, it's been a while since I did any Boer War soldier research.
I'll have a look through my 11TG's on the town's history and see what I have on him, especially as his name does ring a bell with me though I'm not sure why. If you give me a little while I can search through my copies of the local Dereham newspaper to see it there was anything in there about him too.
thanks and take care, Kitty (kitty55)
Interested in anything to do with East Dereham, Norfolk UK. - 3rdVBNR, 5th Norfolks, RAMC etc. Including soldiers from out of town who were stationed in town during a war period.
Worked as trained researcher.
Personal - married to Kenny (42y), mother of 3, nanny of 5 and owner of Percy, the Westie....
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, [email protected]

More Family history 1 year 6 months ago #86552

Do you perhaps have a clearer copy of this document? I can't read what the various columns are - particularly those relating to Marriage.

More Family history 1 year 6 months ago #86556

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1181

Interestingly, your G G Grandfather records his marriage as 3 years. Wife on this occasion Eliza. Not Elvina, also a son called Archibald B Loy? Perhaps a second marriage occurred?
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, [email protected]

More Family history 1 year 6 months ago #86607

• Kitty55
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi Don
I can confirm that there are three Sidney Mayes on my lists. Two of whom lived in Dereham on the Toftwood side.
Am I right in thinking that the Sidney everyone is looking for is Sidney Stephen MAYES born on 8th May 1880, baptized on 18th July 1880 - both taking place in Dereham?
If so here's a few details -
1. I've got his full records from the Boer War - the 4 usual pages which confirm his father is Walter (a brewer's drayman) and mother is Elvina/Eliza (it's a common thing for that time to have both of these names listed on various censuses - well it is for all the research I've done on Dereham over the last 50 years).
2. He joined the RAMC No. 15042. I think he had 5 numbers due to the fact that he was someone who went after the major fighting was over - this would also explain why he has only been awarded the SA badge. I'm saying this as it seems to be the same for other Dereham soldiers who went to S. A. in 1901. All the others I've found for Dereham with 4 numbers actually fought in the 2nd Boer War and went sometime between1897 - 1900.
3. I can't find any service record for WWI and if he was in it then I'd have come across him which I haven't - he's just in my Boer War soldiers list I've compiled. I actually thought I'd found him in the Suffolk Regiment for WWI but after cross-referencing all the available online sites - it's not him (I've confirmed this for definite)
4. According to all the records I've been able to find on him he died on 10th Arpil 1962 - I've got a record of it from the Family History online site.
However, there are several things I still need to sort out for you (i,e, what his wife's name really was - there seems to be some confusion over it but I think she was Scottish and named Elsie. Though he might have had another wife as I've also found several other children born in SA after Elsie is recorded on the 1911 census at his parents house in Dereham. The other woman or Elsie's other name is listed as Alice May but I can't find a surname for her anywhere yet. And the list of children is amazing some to Elsie and other to Alice May but all have Sidney Stephen MAyes born in East Dereham on their birth records.
However, I'll do what I call a person's profile - in it it'll have all the details I know for you - it's the way I sort out who is who when like your relative I have three similar names all living in town. Added to which I've still got a few contacts to ask yet and i can always ask on my Facebook page - Dereham in Detail - there's not a lot those thousand or so members don't know about the town and it's families - believe me.
donjmaciver@gmail,com
If that's your email then I can email you all the details I've got along with original screenshots, etc. and my profile document if you'd like.
If so please just tell me and give me to about 7th to 8th November when you should have received it from me.
thanks and take care, Kitty
Interested in anything to do with East Dereham, Norfolk UK. - 3rdVBNR, 5th Norfolks, RAMC etc. Including soldiers from out of town who were stationed in town during a war period.
Worked as trained researcher.
Personal - married to Kenny (42y), mother of 3, nanny of 5 and owner of Percy, the Westie....
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected], Dave F

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.621 seconds