Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Relief of Ladysmith 11 years 1 month ago #8598

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Afternoon Frank.....

This medal was purchased from a fellow collector who had done a little research.....

1. He should have one more bar - South Africa 1901

2. Wounded, Captured and Released, Released from NEMR - Lauriston 23-09-01

3. Verified on WO-100/284

I also purchased a 2 bar to a Trooper in Gorringe's Flying Column (CC-SA01) along with his discharge papers. Attested 14-01-01 Discharged 02-04-01 after 79 Days of Service as Completion of Service.....

Mike

P.S. From what I understand he will be disposing of more of his collection soon.
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Relief of Ladysmith 11 years 1 month ago #8612

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
Well, I am now intriqued, according to the casualty roll he was wounded, the alphabetical transcribed roll also suggests he might have been taken POW at Lauriston, because the word "released" is used, but, all those clasps, he would have had to have served in three units I would think to have them, WO100/284 is a Town Guard and District Mounted Troops volume, so again, one wonders where the clasps actually come from, what is the page number in WO100/284, I'd like to see him, do you know which units his clasps come from?
Regards Frank

WO100/263 page 9 as expected, a medal only.

The published return from the list of casualties from the 1st July to the 31st December 1901.

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Afternoon Frank.....

This medal was purchased from a fellow collector who had done a little research.....

1. He should have one more bar - South Africa 1901

2. Wounded, Captured and Released, Released from NEMR - Lauriston 23-09-01

3. Verified on WO-100/284

I also purchased a 2 bar to a Trooper in Gorringe's Flying Column (CC-SA01) along with his discharge papers. Attested 14-01-01 Discharged 02-04-01 after 79 Days of Service as Completion of Service.....

Mike

P.S. From what I understand he will be disposing of more of his collection soon.

Attachments:

The Relief of Ladysmith 11 years 1 month ago #8618

• QSAMIKE
Good Morning Frank....

As I stated I have done no research on this man and the information shown was passed on to me by the seller..... I guess that more digging may have to be done..... I remember reading about a South African who had a large number of bars (8 or 9) who had served in at least 5 different units..... H*ll if you can get the medal and two bars for only 79 days service I would not be surprised if he had served in a couple of different ones..... Would his records be in SA or at Kew????

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

The Relief of Ladysmith 11 years 1 month ago #8620

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Mike,

I am not aware if any NEMR records at Kew. Sorry :(
David
Dr David Biggins

The Relief of Ladysmith 11 years 1 month ago #8622

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
It all depends on the units in question, I have to say that if this medal was original and this man is entitled, I would be very surprised indeed, if, however, this man is only entitled to the medal as shown in WO100/263, then what a superb medal! :) a TINY unit, a VERY GOOD casualty and a REALLY SCARCE QSA, I would be very pleased with it.
I assume the rivets are official ones, not that it proves anything, there are a lot of funny people around and you could add a set of clasps to a medal without any problems in order to sex it up and try and increase its value, but, WO100 remains!
Kind regards Frank

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Morning Frank....

As I stated I have done no research on this man and the information shown was passed on to me by the seller..... I guess that more digging may have to be done..... I remember reading about a South African who had a large number of bars (8 or 9) who had served in at least 5 different units..... H*ll if you can get the medal and two bars for only 79 days service I would not be surprised if he had served in a couple of different ones..... Would his records be in SA or at Kew????

Mike

The Relief of Ladysmith 11 years 1 month ago #8643

• QSAMIKE
Hi Frank.....

Dug the medal out and went over it with a powerful glass and all the bars/rivits look OK with the exception of the Transvaal bar which looked thin compared to others that I have..... I then checked a few other Transvaal's and there were some thin and thick so I think it is OK.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.539 seconds