Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Introducing myself 11 years 3 months ago #8280

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The roll continues.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jpwhyman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introducing myself 11 years 2 months ago #8294

• jpwhyman
  • jpwhyman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Frank,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post all of the men in the regiment. Now the work begins...

I have found the email giving me the clue that Prince Alfred's was the regiment, this was in 2005. It says that the slouch hats pointed to the regiment being a volunteer regiment and the 15-pr gun was only used in two regiments. Prince Alfred's which was equipped with this type of gun at the beginning of the war and the Natal Field Artillery who received their 15-pr Field Guns in 1901. Apparently the uniform matches the ones in a photograph opposite page 62 in Gunners of the Cape. I have no idea of who served in the Natal Field Artillery or how different their uniforms were to the ones in my photo. I hope you enjoyed the photo and maybe you have more information to add.
Thank you again for the info.
Janet

Introducing myself 11 years 2 months ago #8297

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Again,
I cannot get the photo to expand so I can't see it, if you could re post it and use the insert button before you press submit, I may be able then to see it and offer an opinion.
Regards Frank

Introducing myself 11 years 2 months ago #8298

• jpwhyman
  • jpwhyman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello, It is a JPG file so it should be easy to download and zoom with a photo program or something similar. I have looked at all of the names and none of them match my family tree as far as I can see so maybe the other volunteer regiment may be a better option. I am at a loss as to why none of the names match if my previous information is correct.
One of life's mysteriers.
Hope you have better luck with the photo this time.

Attachments:

Introducing myself 11 years 2 months ago #8309

• tooltom
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Another newby - I have 11 great uncles who I have found so far who served in the Boer War, and one was in the Rhodesian Field Force, and although I have found the record of his medal and clasps on another site, I cant find that unit on this site. Another was in the Dundee Town Guard, cant find that unit mentioned on this site either, and yet another was in the Natal Mounted Rifles, and cant find that unit.Can anybody tell me where I may find some info about what they did, where they fought etc, I would like to add such info to my family history files.

Introducing myself 11 years 2 months ago #8311

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Tooltom,

Click on the Unit Information link on the Main Menu and then look under South African Units. Here you will find the NMR and also the Rhodesian Volunteers etc. Below that link is another to the Town Guards, here you will find the Dundee TG.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.745 seconds