Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Hello from the English Lake District 11 years 3 months ago #7557

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello Paul

Lovely to see the memorial photos - Eamont Bridge was my first ABW memorial many moons ago - it launched my interest in ABW memorials. For many years I ran the Anglo-Boer War Memorials Project ( www.casus-belli.co.uk/abwmp/ ) which was superceded by the larger war memorial recording efforts of the Imperial War Museum which in istelf has been overtaken.

The latest effort to keep an up to date record of war memorials in the UK is War Memorials Online ( www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/ ). I will be contributing where I can, I hope you can too with your recent pictures from Cumbria.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Hello from the English Lake District 11 years 3 months ago #7558

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Paul

Thank you for taking the trouble of posting the pics of Border Regiment badges. It seems ridiculous that my memory of the badge that was in my possession for 60 years is now a bit muddled. I think it was like the middle badge (i.e. with battle honours and without the crown), but with "The Border Regiment" scroll. I was either told it was a glengarry badge, or I identified it as such from Kipling & Kings book.

I will ask my son to photograph the badge, so it can be checked by you.

Regards
Brett

PS The badge belonged to a William Ingram, who came to Natal from the New Forest in the 1880's. He was responsible for bringing my paternal grandfather to Natal, where they had a sheet-metal/plumbing business in Pietermaritzburg. The only material relics of his existence are the badge, his QSA and a George III golden guinea, which he wore on his watchchain.

Re: Hello from the English Lake District 11 years 3 months ago #7563

Brett Hendey wrote: Paul

I think it was like the middle badge (i.e. with battle honours and without the crown), but with "The Border Regiment" scroll.

Was it more like this one? i.e. the Victorian helmet plate centre for regulars rather than volunteers thus bearing the battle honours on the arms of the cross, (obviously no Boer war honours at this time). You can date Border regiment collar badges etc quite easily using that as a basis. If only 11 honours it is before the S.Africa honours were added in 1905, hence if it has 13 honours it is a post 1905 item.
The bottom photo show the helmet plate centre in situ with a Victorian surround as worn on the blue cloth helmets . Paul
Attachments:

Re: Hello from the English Lake District 11 years 3 months ago #7564

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Paul

That is indeed the badge! Thank you for posting it. I have asked my son to send me a photograph and I will post it so I wont be relying only on my fsulty mrmory.

Regards
Brett

Re: Hello from the English Lake District 11 years 3 months ago #7565

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Paul,
And welcome to the forum.
Thank you for posting some interesting items about the Border Regt.
I was lucky enough to aquire a QSA to the regiment last year (link below
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...wounded-at-spion-kop
I think I have exhausted all information but if you have any in your archives I would be grateful.

Regards
Paul :)

[email protected] wrote: Hi.
I’m Paul Bramham, a 50 year old Yorkshireman but I have spent most of my life living in The Lake District. My interest in military history is due to my family background and also to my 26 years as a press photographer during which I have covered many assignments with all branches of the armed forces including exercises at Warcop,Thetford etc, plus I accompanied 1st Btn Kings Own Royal Border Regiment ( now Duke of Lancs.) on tours in Northern Ireland during the 20th anniversary of “The Troubles”, and in Bosnia in the 1990s.
As a Kendal Town Councillor I have recently been part of a sub committee appointed to protect the town's war memorial from metal thieves. As vice chairman of the council’s arts, mayoralty and heritage committee I am now working on a 1914 centenary exhibition with the town’s schools, civic society, and other parties.
I was part of a small group engaged in producing a Roll of Honour for the Border Regiment Chapel in Kendal Parish Church, which we completed in time for dedication on Remembrance Sunday 21012. The project which began 50 years ago but was never completed. The roll features the names and details of all KNOWN Kendal men who died serving in The Border Regiment. We achieved our aim in completing the volume while there were still veterans alive in the town.
I am a keen member and regular contributor to The Border Regiment Forum (take a look: www.border-regiment-forum.com/index.php )
I’ve always been intrigued by The Boer war as it was completely ignored by our 1970s school history syllabus (as was The Spanish Civil War). I feel the events in South Africa deserve a far greater place in British history, which I believe are somewhat forgotten having been almost immediately overshadowed for The First World War. (I guess I’m preaching to the converted” or you would not be reading this site!)
There are quite a few memorials on my patch to The Border Regiment volunteeer battalions and St Johns Ambulance who went to the 2nd Boer War, I'll dig out some photos and submit them.
Regards, Paul.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Hello from the English Lake District 11 years 3 months ago #7567

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Good Morning Paul.....

Here is one pair that I picked up last november and have not done anything with it yet......

Any information would be greatly appreciated......

Mike

GALE, C.

REG. NO.: 5082
REGT: THE BORDER REGIMENT, 1st BATTALION
BARS: CAPE COLONY, TUGELA HEIGHTS, ORANGE FREE STATE, RELIEF OF LADYSMITH, TRANSVAAL

REMARKS / HISTORY:

1. KING’S SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL, USUAL TWO BARS
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.018 seconds