Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Hello new to this site 11 years 4 months ago #7333

• Irish Brigade
  • Irish Brigade's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi I am new to this site and this is my first post. I have looked here a few times before and find it very informative.

My main interest in the Boer War is the Irish involvement but I am interested in the war in general.

I am also interested in the disbanded Irish Regiments of the British army.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Hello new to this site 11 years 4 months ago #7335

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning and welcome to this forum,
I first became interested in Irish soldiers serving in South Africa after becoming aware of their courage under a very intense fire in the "loop" whilst attempting to cross the Tugela river during operations to relieve beseiged Ladysmith.
Not a great day for the Irish Brigade, they came under cross fire from three sides and took heavy casualties, the Dublin Fusiliers in particular.
Only to be expected I suppose, with that madman, Fitzroy "no bobs" Hart in command! :(
Regards Frank

Re: Hello new to this site 11 years 4 months ago #7341

• Irish Brigade
  • Irish Brigade's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes the Dubs/Irish Brigade did indeed suffer badly at the Tugela river.

The picture I use as my avatar is part of a larger statue that once stood on the front lawn of Leinster House in Dublin City. It was one section of a Queen Victoria statue and this part is commerating Dublin Fusiliers killed in the Boer War and is Hibernia wid a dead Fusilier.The full statue was removed by the Irish government in 1948 and the Queen Victoria statue is now in Ausrtalia.

Re: Hello new to this site 11 years 4 months ago #7343

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Shown below are the medals of a RDF Sergeant, who was one of the wounded in the "loop" during the Battle of Colenso. His story is told elsewhere on this forum.

Regards
Brett

Attachments:

Re: Hello new to this site 11 years 4 months ago #7344

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett and happy new year,
Another superb group, was Towey's Great War service confined to German South West Africa or did he get up to German East Afica, nice to have with the SWB which are shown on the medal cards, with the all important number and SA prefix.
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Shown below are the medals of a RDF Sergeant, who was one of the wounded in the "loop" during the Battle of Colenso. His story is told elsewhere on this forum.

Regards
Brett

Re: Hello new to this site 11 years 4 months ago #7345

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...-of-colenso-casualty

Hi Frank

The link above is to my earlier post on Towey and his medals. I have a particular affection for Towey. He never became rich or famous, but he was a solid and patriotic citizen who settled in Natal after the Boer War and he helped shape the province that I was born into and which I wish had remained unchanged.

I bought Towey's medals many years ago at a local auction. The QSA and trio were sold separately, so I paid more than I had planned to, but they were probably a good buy from an investment point of view.

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.130 seconds