Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

BURGH OF STIRLING CHILDREN'S COMMEMORATION MEDAL 3 months 4 hours ago #93809

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 762
I am experiencing a somewhat lean spell in medal acquisitions lately, but picking up some interesting commemorative items issued back in Britain.

Continuing along the vein previously discussed on other threads regarding the presentation of commemorative items to schoolchildren, I present a bronze struck medal manufactured by Vaughton of Birmingham in 1900, and distributed to schoolchildren in Stirling, Scotland.
The following images and descriptions will tell us more.

OBVERSE
A diamond -shaped bronze medal measuring 58mm in height with a length of 31mm with loop and small ornamental scrolls atop.
A portrait of Lord Roberts is central (this example showing a nice sharp relief still present). Inscription to the outer field as follows:
"LORD ROBERTS OCCUPATION OF PRETORIA"

REVERSE
In the centre is the coat of arms and inscription of the "BURGH OF STIRLING". Inscription to the edge thus: "CHILDREN'S COMMEMORATION 5TH JUNE1900".

A nice memento of an important historical event.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C, Smethwick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BURGH OF STIRLING CHILDREN'S COMMEMORATION MEDAL 3 months 11 minutes ago #93812

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
Steve,

From Cycling 25th August 1900

From the Birmingham Conservation Trust website:

Photo by Clare Overton Lewis and she has added the following caption which indicates your commemorative was probably made in their previous premises but I thought the reference to the FA Cup might interest you.

"Found on Livery Street in the Jewellery Quarter, Vaughton's Gothic Works is a red brick, Grade II listed building built in 1902. It was a gold and silversmiths that manufactured badges, medals, mayoral chains and other civic jewellery. The company were also the producers of the second FA cup, made in 1895 after the original cup was stolen from a shop in Birmingham where it was being repaired. The Works is one of my favourite buildings in the Jewellery Quarter, I love the ornate Gothic-style lettering, so decorative for an industrial building. It is now the home of Hatters Hostel."

Sorry I could not find an article about them being issued to the children of Stirling. Something similar was issued to the children of Tyneside commemorating "Bobs" taking Pretoria but in the form of a white metal Maltese Cross.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C, Moranthorse1

BURGH OF STIRLING CHILDREN'S COMMEMORATION MEDAL 2 months 4 weeks ago #93813

• Moranthorse1
  • Away
Thanks for posting this David.

I have probably passed that building many times and not realised the history of their manufacture.

It has just run through my mind if there was a catalogue/back catalogue of all the designs they produced to commemorate the Boer War.

Now that could be interesting and worth an enquiry in the Jewellery Quarter or Birmingham City Library on Broad Street.

Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smethwick

BURGH OF STIRLING CHILDREN'S COMMEMORATION MEDAL 2 months 4 weeks ago #93814

• Moranthorse1
  • Away

I have probably passed that building many times and not realised the history of their manufacture.

It has just run through my mind if there was a catalogue/back catalogue of all the designs they produced to commemorate the Boer War.

Now that could be interesting and worth an enquiry in the Jewellery Quarter or Birmingham City Library on Broad Street.

Cheers Steve

BURGH OF STIRLING CHILDREN'S COMMEMORATION MEDAL 2 months 4 weeks ago #93815

• Moranthorse1
  • Away

Cheers Steve

BURGH OF STIRLING CHILDREN'S COMMEMORATION MEDAL 2 months 4 weeks ago #93816

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1991
This medal came in two forms: the bronze version and another that is silvered, with Lord Roberts' bust and the Stirling burgh arms highlighted in gilt. The latter type is not recorded in Hern.

Steve / David, if you can find anything regarding the distribution of these that would be brilliant. I have, so far, drawn a blank.....

Variant or Hern 156.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, Smethwick

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.132 seconds