Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Great Grandfather - I have his medal and would like to know more about him 3 months 1 week ago #93699

• Thephilistine
  • Thephilistine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear Dr. David,

You have hit the jackpot!
This would have to be it - a document matching the medal I have in my possession.

As to the details - yes, in March 1900, my grandfather would have been 26 years turning 27.
Yes, his occupation has elsewhere been listed as a carter.
I hadn't known of his address being in Leichardt, but that seems quite plausible.

But, with all due respect, this does throw a slight spanner in the works in regards to the comments and references made by IL.

The timing suggests that Charles signed up AFTER his 2nd son George was born in early 1900. This actually makes more sense in a way. The Boer war must have intensified and widened on several fronts in 1900, and like many younger men, he answered the call to enlist for duty to Queen and country. Therefore, he must have left a wife and two sons behind in Australia while he fought in South Africa during 1900 and 1901 when he must have returned home.

It would be helpful to know if he was injured prior to his return to Australia. An injury may have weakened him, and perhaps led to his early death before WW1. Anyone with such information is welcome to post it here.

It is worth noting that Charles's wife, Mary Levina Smith (Galloway), never remarried and lived until January 1971, passing away at the age of 95 in the care of her oldest son William "Billo' Smith - musician and band leader at Cloudland - on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia. She actually outlived by five years her 2nd son George, who died in tragic circumstances.

For now, I am more inclined to keep this medal rather than sell it or donate it to the Australian War Memorial. I have my grandfather's service medals as well. I am now motivated to get them cleaned and properly mounted.

Warm Regards

Philip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Great Grandfather - I have his medal and would like to know more about him 3 weeks 23 hours ago #94968

• Thephilistine
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
So it has taken a while. But I have finally confirmed the circumstances of my GGF's death.

It is worth sharing here because of the potential his experience has for stimulating a wider discussion into the effects of war.

Charles Henry Smith - a Carter by occupation - died July 6, 1909 in Prince Alfred Hospital Camperdown in Sydney Australia. He was 35 years of age.

Cause of Death - Strychnine poisoning administered by himself i.e. suicide.

These were the findings of an inquiry held in Sydney, 9 July 1909.

He was born in Coventry UK and had lived 23 years in NSW.

He left behind is wife, Mary (nee Galloway) who was 33. His sons were my GF - William David (12 yrs) - and George (9 yrs).

So we know how he died, but little is said in his death certificate about why. Like underlying cause - war neuroses, or as we call it today, PTSD.

He must have seen some pretty heavy stuff during his service in South Africa.

Great Grandfather - I have his medal and would like to know more about him 3 weeks 18 hours ago #94976

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 767
Am I correct in thinking your GGF first served with the Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps, then with the Imperial Bearer Corps? If so, he was a very brave man, and a man of compassion rather than of violence. The NVAC did amazing work on the Tugela front.
You can read a definitive account the NVAC here, written by Brett Hendey of this Forum:
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/8-events/1072...ulance-corps?start=0
Note however that this unit was not part of, and should not be confused with, the similar-sounding Natal Volunteer Indian Ambulance Corps.

I attach a photo of how your GGF would have looked in Natal
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thephilistine

Great Grandfather - I have his medal and would like to know more about him 2 weeks 6 days ago #94984

• Thephilistine
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting this photo. What a treasure!

GGF first served with the Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps, then with the Imperial Bearer Corps - this is unknown to me.

However, the certificate posted on this thread indicating that Charles signed up in March 1900 to join the IBC was signed in Maritzburg, which is in Natal, SA.

So this indicates that he was already on the continent at the time he joined. It seems that your suggestion has some merit to it.

As always, it would be really good to find a document verifying his service in this NVAC.

Indeed, he may have been both brave and compassionate. And what he experienced over the course of two years in SA must have got to him. Life back in Australia with his young family did not remove from him the horror of war. And 8 years after returning, he killed himself. Very sad, but true.

Regards

Great Grandfather - I have his medal and would like to know more about him 2 weeks 6 days ago #95004

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 767
Philip,
Here's the proof that your GGF, Charles Smith, served with the NVAC and then the IBC. These are documents you can view online
discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3764013
discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3764025
The Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps, like all Natal Volunteer units, was permitted to serve only within the boundaries of Natal (legislation being the Natal Volunteer Act of 1895). By March 1900 the fighting had moved into the Transvaal and Orange Free State.
So in March 1900 your GGF joined an Imperial unit, in order to keep serving.

The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.607 seconds