Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sgt-Major Bernard Malim Bowen 1 year 2 months ago #88681

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
Philip - 358 RSM B.M Bowen, Natal Carbineers, died of enteric fever (typhoid) at Caversham 28 March 1900. He qualified for a QSA with clasp Defence of Ladysmith. He had previous service with 3rd Dragoon Guards.

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sgt-Major Bernard Malim Bowen 1 year 2 months ago #88684

It is a remarkable story. His fiancee lived at a farm half a mile from Caversham. He survived the siege but was clearly quite ill. I have his last letter home and then one final one to fiancee. After some days rest he was on the train - one version has it that he became delirious and jumped off the train at Caversham to be with her. What might be more likely is he was taken off at Caversham because of his condition and his fiancee was nearby. We drove to see the farm and where he died - in her arms it was said. The farm is about half a mile from the railway. The burial site half a mile the other side. That is fascinating too - he is buried in the grounds of a Methodist Wesleyan chapel. 38 years ago a couple bought it and built a bungalow and turned the chapel into staff quarters. The graves fringe their lawn and have been lovingly preserved. (I think they could have demolished them....and who knows what will happen one day..)
The letters are a treasure trove, especially the huge one written in stages during the siege. Philip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.276 seconds