Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Finding some information about my great grandfather, Sgt George Atkins. 1 year 1 month ago #88692

• Bob54
  • Bob54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello Rob,
Thank you for explaining the finer details pertaining to his uniform. I'm afraid most of this is well above my head, especially since I know nothing about military matters.
Something's for sure though - I'm beginning to appreciate the man a bit more. After all he paid for what he believed in with his dear life!
Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Finding some information about my great grandfather, Sgt George Atkins. 1 year 4 days ago #89148

• gavmedals
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi,

As Rob D mentions the pair of medals being worn, is the second one being the "Khedive Star". As for the first medal, it is very indistinct, but it is likely the Egypt Medal (1882 -89) with at least one clasp. If he was in the RIR I would guess the clasp would be Tel-el-Kebir
It should be possible to confirm these exactly from the likes of Ancestry, FMP or the National Archives (UK):

There were a number of Irish regiments present at a number of the battles in this campaign and the following link will provide some interesting reading on the Egypt / Sudan campaign: " www.britishbattles.com/war-in-egypt-and-sudan/ "

With at least the following battles during the campaign shown as involving an Irish regiment
1. Tel-el-Kebir: 13th Sept 1882: 1st Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers and the 2nd Bn, Royal Irish Regiment (perhaps should read Rifles)
2. El Teb: 29th Feb 1884: 2nd Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers
3. Tamai: 13 March 1884: 2nd Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers

Happy to have this expanded on given that I do not have all the info at hand
Regards

Gavin
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Bob54

Finding some information about my great grandfather, Sgt George Atkins. 1 year 4 days ago #89161

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Gavin,

A quick search of Ancestry's index for that number and name only brought up his Boer War service and there were no obvious matches for the surname in Egypt. A search of the roll itself is needed.

Rob, you can download the roll for free from the National Archives site. The roll you need is WO100/57

discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3763821
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: gavmedals

Finding some information about my great grandfather, Sgt George Atkins. 1 year 4 days ago #89166

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 135
372* numbers attested for Irish Rifles in late1892.
This suggests to me that George Atkins transferred regiments in 1892 / or re-enlisted in 1892 after discharge from a 12 year service.
The link below is for a 2166 George Atkins who attested for the Yorkshire Regt in Sheffield in 1880 got an Egypt medal and a Khedive star for action at Ginnis 1885; had 6 months on Malta; had a clean record and army service that might warrant accelerated promotion to sergeant by mid 1890's.
He has the appearance of a very mature adult in all of the images of him in India.

search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2F...FWO97%2F2220%2F12008

Pete

Finding some information about my great grandfather, Sgt George Atkins. 1 year 2 days ago #89213

• Bob54
  • Bob54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Thank you for your kind contributions. I shall try to download the roll from the National Archives, as David suggested, and see whether some additional information can be had. I shall, of course, also follow the links given by Gavin and Pete. Thank you all very much for taking time to help me out on this quest. Much obliged!
Bob

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.665 seconds