Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Demobilisation and repatriation 1 year 4 months ago #87860

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1178
Quote :- Also, in AB's records it says he was awarded 2 days CC and 4 days CB ... I assume the latter is Confined To Barracks but what is the former?

Hi Stuart

I believe C C means confined to camp and you are bang on for C B

Dave....
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: stufisher, Smethwick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Demobilisation and repatriation 1 year 4 months ago #87861

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 841
Stuart - Dave F is correct - note at the time they were "on trek". Two days CC does not sound much of a punishment as wandering from the camp had its dangers. But then putting your rifle on the waggon does not seem much of a crime except your usefulness in the event of a surprise attack could be compromised.

Interesting that that document is stamped Orderly Room 3rd Battalion. I think the 3rd were a reserve battalion that supplied the drafts for the 1st & 2nd in SA. The more you look at all the paperwork he obviously went out to SA as a member of the 2nd Company SG Mounted Infantry which may have had little operationally to do with either the 1st or 2nd SG Battalions in SA - rather an independent unit which was used where needed to chase down the Boers in the closing months of the war - but don't quote me as I am operating beyond the boundaries of my actual knowledge.

Attached are the two SG Registers. Hope you can read them OK - I had to "shrink" one to make it postable and the other was rather faint when found. I have to confess to a senior moment as the pages on one are a bit misaligned and it was 3446 James Dunbar who deserted in 1913. On the first you can find him by the faint cross in the left hand margin, on the second he is 7th from the bottom.

ILH = Imperial Light Horse

Regards, David.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Demobilisation and repatriation 1 year 4 months ago #87863

• stufisher
  • stufisher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Now I understand better ... I just spotted the column headers that explain where things occurred.
So, thanks to you Smethwick, I now have my papa's exploits captured and understood and I can track his travel history.

I shall now focus on JMcK G and his life post-1902 and subsequent WW1 service and post-military life (for which I am well down the road already). Interestingly, his younger brother William Grassie emigrated to Canada, served in the Canadian forces at a senior rank I think and died there in 1935 Vancouver ... have certifications and a photo of his gravestone.

I guess this is an all too familiar story from that era ... brothers separated through war, emigration and necessity to survive and thrive by any means. How lucky we are.

And finally, on a speculative thought ... do you think it would have been possible that JMcKG and AB might actually have been together in the same place, at the same time, when they were resident in South Africa? With AB's time there so short I guess his whereabouts can be found reasonably easily the ILI were there from the start I believe so where would I find JMcK's postings ... will there be a regimental book that says who was where and when? Who should I contact to explore further?

Stuart

Demobilisation and repatriation 1 year 4 months ago #87875

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 841
Stuart,

As all "my" Smethwickians, with a handful of exceptions, served in British Regiments I am not the person to help you sort out the life and times of JMK in SA. Perhaps a post giving his name & unit in the title with a plea for help in the text might attract somebody who could help. The text should incorporate all the info you have managed to gather about him.

Regards, David.

Demobilisation and repatriation 1 year 4 months ago #87879

• stufisher
  • stufisher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
OK David ... good steer.
I'll finish off the other strands I'm working on and see where that leaves me.

All of your help is greatly appreciated. I wish you well with your own research.

Best,

Stuart

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.804 seconds