Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Introduction 1 year 3 months ago #87763

• ANDYK
  • ANDYK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Trying to find out about my great grandfather after recently been given his QSA medal. Alexander Kindness 2/Scots guards but then also noticed other Kindness in the list and intrigued to find out if they are also relatives.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduction 1 year 3 months ago #87773

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello ANDYK
Welcome to the forum.
Attached list on 1st investigations regarding your G Grandfather.

A Kindness 8687 2nd Battalion Scots Guards.
Medal roll records one clasp only Transvaal, plus entitlement to a KSA.
What clasps do you have on his medal?

Is it possible to share more details of your G Grandfather? The more clues you can provide the better chance the forum may have to help in your request.

Regards

Dave......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Introduction 1 year 3 months ago #87774

• Dave F
AndyK
I found another medal roll for your Great Grandfather which records 2 more clasps
Wittebergen and Cape Colony. Does your QSA have 3 clasps?
Medal roll WO 100 165 dated 1901 at Rustplaatz. Margin note says 8687 Private A Kindness was discharged, no date recorded.

As previously mentioned, some background info on your G G would be very helpful if you have it.

Dave....
Best regards,
Dave

Introduction 1 year 3 months ago #87775

• ANDYK
  • ANDYK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Dave,
Thanks for this.
His name was Alexander Kindness 2/Scots guards, #8687. Born in Forgue near Huntly Aberdeenshire 1866.
The medal is attached.
Started doing my family history and trying to unravel all the Alexander, George and James that seem to cycle through things.
Was then curious about all the other Kindness that were there in the name search. They have the same name to all the other relatives in the family tree but appear to be in Colonial units. Does that suggest that they were already out in SA? I am aware of other Kindness still living in Eastern Cape.
My Dad recently gave me the medal which was a shame as I used to live in SA and could have done much more searching around. I was curious about Wittebergen until I read on the website where that was. We used to go hunting a lot round Bethlehem and Senekal so it was funny to find out that was where my GGfather had been.
Thanks
Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Introduction 1 year 3 months ago #87780

• Dave F
Andy

Your Great Grandfather Alexander Kindness enlisted in the Gordon Highlanders in 1888 aged 21, his regimental number 2936. Most of his service was stationed in the UK . However, he rejoined the colours on the 26th December 1899 2nd Scots Guards 8687. Total service was 13 years. His time in South Africa equated to 341 days ( 15/3/00 to 18/2/01). His clasp entitlement was the 3 previously mentioned with the addition of the 1901 date clasp. So, probably no KSA for him.

Dave......

Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Introduction 1 year 3 months ago #87781

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
Hi Andy,

No medal visible, suspect you did not hit the insert box. I think Dave F meant to say his QSAM should have 4 clasps Wittebergen, Cape Colony, Transvaal & South Africa 1901.

I have a 2/Scots Guards amongst my 200+ Smethwickians who embarked for South Africa on 15th March 1900. He received the same 4 clasps although he died of enteric fever on 2nd February 1901 at Harrismith. I have found voluminous documentation regarding him but mainly about the after care shown to his widow and 3 children, compounded by her remarrying. However, one of the documents is a page from a book showing information for men of both 1st & 2nd battalions of Scots Guards including their S Africa service dates. Your GGF should be listed but needless to say I have only downloaded the page with "my" man on (8088 Arthur Barker). At the moment I can't remember where I found it but with have a look.

Regards, David.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.824 seconds