Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Trooper C R Lempriere 1 year 6 months ago #87074

• Hywel
  • Hywel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
I can look that up online. Thanks so much.

Mephistopheles ha, ha. Maybe that's where he met the local big wigs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trooper C R Lempriere 1 year 6 months ago #87076

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2029
There is a piece about the R.A.O.B. St Tudno Lodge, No. 1133 (Llandudno), dated 20/10/1898, which mentions that C.R. Lempriere was a visitor from the R.A.O.B. Comrades Lodge, Surrey (Llandudno Advertiser, 20/10/1898).
Could this be the connection?

Ed. "C.R." might be an abbreviation of City Registrar, a position in the R.A.O.B., in which case this may be a different Lempriere. However, Trooper Lempriere was certainly a member of the St. Tudno Mutual Benefit Society, presumably an offshoot of the St Tudno Lodge, so it still seems likely that this is the same man.

Neville

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hywel

Trooper C R Lempriere 1 year 6 months ago #87077

• Hywel
Neville I think that you have cracked it, brilliant. I will have a look at the Advertiser again as I didn't find anything first time.

To other posters, Just downloaded his attestation papers, thanks for telling me how to do it via the Military button on Ancestry which I have never used before. He names his brother, HP as next of kin so you were correct in assuming there was a relationship.

Trooper C R Lempriere 1 year 6 months ago #87078

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2029
Trooper Lempriere received his Q.S.A. from the King on Horse Guards' Parade, on 26 Jul 1901.

The list or recipients clearly gives his residence as "Yardley, near Birmingham".

Llangollen Advertiser, 2 Aug 1901

HONOURS FOR THE YEOMANRY.

PRESENTATION OF MEDALS BY THE KING.

Denbighshire men were well represented on the Horse Guards' parade in London, on Friday, when the King presented medals to a large number of the Imperial Yeomanry who have served in South Africa. The weather was wet, but the ceremony attracted a large number of spectators. The King was accompanied by the Queen.
The following are the members of the Denbighshire (29th Company) who received the distinction: –

Captain Parry, Lieut. Mainwaring, Lance-Corpl. P.H. Alexander, Wallasey, Pte. W.F. Allman, Llandudno, Pte. J. Ball, Hoylake, Pte. W.K. Bell, Rhuddlan, Pte. R.H. Davies, Llanrwst, Sergt. R. Dumphy, Llandudno, Pte. E. Evans, Hendreforfydd, near Corwen, Pte. J.L. Evaus, Mold. Lance-Corpl. W. Flint, Rhyl, Pte. H.W. Flint, Southsea, Hants., Pte. C.W. Ghent, Conway. Lance-Corpl. E. Hind, Rock Ferry, Pte. H. Hind, Rock Ferry, Lance-Corpl. S. Hughes, Llandudno, Staff-Sergt. R.S. Jones, Denbigh, Pte. I.H. Jones, Liverpool. Pte. Wm. Jones, Abbey Road, Llangollen, Pte. J. Jones, 22 Albert Street, Wrexham, Pte. S. Leary, Liverpool, Pte. C.R. LEMPRIERE, Yardley, near Birmingham, Sergt. J. Lloyd, Mold, Sergt. J.S. Meredith, Aldersey Farm, Holt, Corpl. J.C. Murless, Wynnstay Hotel, Ruabon, Sergt. G.P. McLellan, London, Lance-Sergt. E.R. Owen, Llandudno, Staff-Sergt. F. Palser, 5, Bersham Road, Wrexham, Lance-Sergt. J.C. Parker, Southport, Pte. W. Priestly, Wallasey, Pte. W. Slawson, Whitchurch, Salop, Pte. C.J. Towley, Liverpool, Pte. W.H. Turner, London, Sergt. A. Tryrer, Hoylake, Trooper J.O. Vaughan, Rhyl, Pte. A.E. Williams, Mold, Pte. J. Williams, Pentre Broughton, near Wrexham, Pte. T. Williams, Swansea, Lance-Corpl. E.L. Williams, Gwerclas, Corwen, Pte. A.H. Willis, Birkenhead.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, Hywel

Trooper C R Lempriere 1 year 6 months ago #87079

• Hywel
That's so interesting thanks Neville. Interesting to see some other men from England, even Southsea!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Trooper C R Lempriere 1 year 6 months ago #87080

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 783
Hywel,
Thank you for posting your thread for Trooper Lempriere.
I look forward to reading your future writing.
Take a look at page 6 of the thread "BOER WAR MEMORIALS OF WALES" where I posted a very brief biography of each of the men named on the Llandudno Town Hall tablet.
You will see that our fellow forummers have added greatly to our knowledge of Lempriere and highlighted the presentation of the tribute medal to men of the district who served in SA.
Also good to see mention of Dunphy and poor old Goodwin.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds