Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Introduction and medal roll info on Alexander McNaughton S.A.C. 405 1 year 8 months ago #84621

• Persimmon
  • Persimmon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi,
My name is Alan McNaughton Daly and the middle name comes from my grandmother Jessie McNaughton Daly.
She was born in 1897 and her father Alexander McNaughton (born 27th April 1867 in Stirling, Scotland) fought in the Boer War.

I am based in Nottingham in England and now as I reach retirement I find I have been focussing on family history.
Recently I have been tracking down my grandfather's Denis Daly ( Jessie's husband) WW1 career.

Denis Daly was awarded the Military Medal and I have recently have had this medal passed down to me together with his War Medal and also his Victory Medal.
This led to tracking down the medal rolls and the service history etc of several other brother's Hugh (another awarded the Military Medal) and William (served in the Navy) and the oldest of the brother's Charles who was sadly killed in May 1915.

I also have now my great grandfather's Boer War medal - Alexander McNaughton and this brings me to this website. (see picture)
Given that his name and S.A.C. and his service number are on the medal I have been able to find out some information although I hope to find more details.

I understand he was a police sergeant in Glasgow prior to heading to South Africa so the S.A.C makes sense in that respect.

405 3rd Class trooper
S.A.C.
( I know he was in C Division as I found that detail on a notification - see picture - that he had sadly died on the 1st February 1902 and was buried in Heidelberg Cemetery).

His medal has the following clasps -
South Africa 1901
South Africa 1902
Transvaal
Orange Free State
Cape Colony

I have found on the National Archives the medal rolls info for the brother's Daly and their WW1 service but I can't seem to locate any link to any Medal rolls information for the Boer War that I can access.
I am not sure if it would tell me more than what is on the medal but I would like to know fore sure.
If someone can advise if these are accessible please and what information is listed etc then it would be appreciated.

I would like to find out anything more about Alexander McNaughton Trooper 405 and if anyone can suggest any links to possible avenues to research again it would much appreciated.

For example in WW1 records I have found hospital admission information on family members - is there anything similar for the Boer War campaign ?
Alexander died of a "disease" on the attached record I found - is there any way to track down the actual cause of his death ?

Looking online it seems the South African Constabulary was a para-military police force raised by the British army and was intended to take over from the British troops once peace had been enforced !! As the conflict developed for longer than envisaged the S.A.C. became involved in combat rather than policing.

Anyway thank you for allowing me to join the Forum

Alan
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduction and medal roll info on Alexander McNaughton S.A.C. 405 1 year 8 months ago #84622

• Persimmon
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I am not sure if the pictures are showing so resubmitting
Attachments:

Introduction and medal roll info on Alexander McNaughton S.A.C. 405 1 year 8 months ago #84623

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hello Alan
Welcome to the forum.
With ref to his cause of death. Dysentery is recorded in Watts Memoriam.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Persimmon

Introduction and medal roll info on Alexander McNaughton S.A.C. 405 1 year 8 months ago #84624

• Persimmon
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks Dave,
One less piece of information to locate.

Alan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Introduction and medal roll info on Alexander McNaughton S.A.C. 405 1 year 8 months ago #84625

• Dave F
Your Images.

Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Persimmon

Introduction and medal roll info on Alexander McNaughton S.A.C. 405 1 year 8 months ago #84627

• Dave F
Medal rolls for your records.

Dave.....
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.742 seconds