TOPIC:

British South Africa Police 1901 1 year 9 months ago #84267

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Sarah,

If you can find his service papers, they will say where he served in the 3 Divisions of the BPAP,

I have just been reading an article on Jstor

New facts and interpretations of events in the Anglo-South Africa War in the Gaborone area, 1899-1900
Author(s): Rob S Burrett and Peter Millington
Source: Botswana Notes and Records , 2003, Vol. 35 (2003), pp. 11-31
Published by: Botswana Society
Stable URL: www.jstor.org/stable/40980336

One of the sources they quote is the Bulawayo Chronicle
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

British South Africa Police 1901 1 year 9 months ago #84268

• SarahF
  • SarahF's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Mike,
I have tried googling the stars and cannot seem to find them anywhere on the internet. It seems most organisations used 5 pointed stars not 6... Someone once suggested they may be American but I cannot find anything. I did wonder at the North West Mounted Police or maybe he had a uniform when he worked on the Canadian Pacific Railway? I admit, I am stumped.
Thanks
Sarah

British South Africa Police 1901 1 year 9 months ago #84269

• SarahF
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
When you said they looked like Swedish troops, I admit, I have to agree with you. The strange thing is that it is my husband who has the Swedish connections, not me! This postcard/photo definately came out of my family photos. Were the Swedes involved with the Anglo Boer War or WW1? I'm not aware of their involvement.
Thanks
Sarah

British South Africa Police 1901 1 year 9 months ago #84270

• SarahF
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks David
I have just emailed a contact at the BSAP organisation and I will see what they say. 'One of my contacts came back and suggested that the Bechuanaland Division records are held in Botswana.' Do I take it from that that you now think the archive is not in Zimbabwe, as you thought earlier? Rory suggested a contact of Ian Johnstone but I guess that would be useless if it wasn't in Zimbabwe. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding all the messages that come in on this string!
With regard to the QSA medal two clasps - what does that mean? Do you think that he must have been in Africa before 1901 in order to be awarded it? I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to military history. I will take a look at that jstor article when I have time, although I should be happier if I knew when he was there. Really grateful for your assistance.
Kind regards
Sarah

British South Africa Police 1901 1 year 9 months ago #84272

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

SarahF wrote: When you said they looked like Swedish troops, I admit, I have to agree with you. The strange thing is that it is my husband who has the Swedish connections, not me! This postcard/photo definately came out of my family photos. Were the Swedes involved with the Anglo Boer War or WW1? I'm not aware of their involvement.
Thanks
Sarah

Sarah.......

Take a look at this thread......

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/20-tribute-me...fontein-1899?start=6

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

British South Africa Police 1901 1 year 9 months ago #84282

• SarahF
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
After your last message about Swedish troops I decided to google them in the Anglo Boer war and was surprised when one name stood out - that of Carl Hultin. My husband is currently translating a book from Swedish into English about the memoirs of Max Hultin during the Napoleonic Wars. Carl Hultin, it turns out, is my husband's great great Uncle! What a small world.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds