Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

British Ships transporting remount horses from Fiume to the Cape 1 year 9 months ago #84043

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Unfortunately I didn't retain the document relating to Joseph Forster.
I have had another search and cannot find the original reference. There are quite a few Josef/Joseph Forster who emigrated to the US, I have to remember what search criteria I used to link in the Austro Hungarian connection. Will keep you posted if I'm successful.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

British Ships transporting remount horses from Fiume to the Cape 1 year 9 months ago #84060

• Dave F
Hi Zaira
This may be worth following up. Slight change in surname and birth date. However, nationality profession and location are interesting.

Ps.. Rijeka formerly known as Fiume, is a city located in the northern tip of the Kvarner Gulf in the northern Adriatic.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zaira

British Ships transporting remount horses from Fiume to the Cape 1 year 9 months ago #84075

• Zaira
  • Zaira's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Thank you. That is interesting. I will be following that up.

British Ships transporting remount horses from Fiume to the Cape 1 year 9 months ago #84077

• Zaira
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi
I am wondering where you found that record. I cannot find it on Archives New Zealand at all, which admittedly I find hard to search. I have found two other records for him there though.
One is to do with his application for naturalization, the other to do with his death. But I cannot see that one on ther, And I would have thought it should be on there. I believe that is where naturalization records are. Paremata is a place in NZ near Wellington, so should be there.

British Ships transporting remount horses from Fiume to the Cape 1 year 9 months ago #84078

• Dave F
It was a reference on Ancestry UK
Unfortunately, no record available for me to open. I thought it was only accessible to N Z users?
Best regards,
Dave

British Ships transporting remount horses from Fiume to the Cape 1 year 9 months ago #84207

• Zaira
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Dave

I have now received the Crew Agreement from the Maritime History Archive. I'm not allowed to republish it of course but this is what it says relevant to the Anglo-Boer War:
The Anglo-Canadian took on 56 horse-men and one cook, I don't have a copy of the entire agreement but what I have shows about 40 engaged at Fiume so I suppose the rest were too. It doesn't say how many horses were transported. The ship was to go from Fiume to Cape Town. It departed Fiume 26 March 1902. The horsemen weren't allowed to land at Cape Town or any South African port.

The ship arrived in the port of Wellington, New Zealand on 22 May 1902. where 42 horsemen and one cook were discharged. Then 15 horsemen were engaged in Wellington and the ship departed Wellington on 28 May 1902. Arrived back in England on 7 July 1902.

The horsemen engaged in Wellington were to be landed in South Africa "if the Authorities permit". I do not have the pages to see if it was permitted, or which port they were discharged at. Where they were discharged would be on pages 10 and 11 for the Crew Agreement for the Anglo Canadian Ship 114766 1902.

G Pagani is on the Crew List as is our friend "Joe Forstner" who turns out to have signed on as Giuseppe Forschtner. Who would've guessed that? Got there in the end!

So, I find out that Giglio did not spend any time in South Africa at all, the horsemen were forbidden to. And that he could not have taken part in the war other than the transporting of horses if one counts that.

The ship took horses from Fiume to Cape Town and then must have taken horses from New Zealand there

Thank you for your assistance. It helped me find Mr Forschtner. He is listed on a separate page to Giglio and so the record for him had to be specifically requested.

I have learnt in this process that ship crew are not included in Passenger Arrivals in the newspaper of the time, and Merchant ships are not included in the Ship Arrivals, only Passenger ships are. The way to find people arriving by Merchant ship, if the ship is British, is by the UK National Archives, the Crew List Index Project and the Maritime History Archives, by finding the name of the ship first and then the ship's number and then you can find the individual.
The Crew List Index Project is a project to index the crew by name and so when that is done it will be possible to find crew by searching their name.

By the way Archives New Zealand is available to search internationally, not just for New Zealanders. It isn't obvious on the site, but you need to scroll down to find the search and then it takes a while to load. results. You do not have to log in or register to search it

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.474 seconds