Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Druce Somerset Light Infantry 2 years 4 months ago #80311

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Interestingly you mention the surname Stuckey.

There was a Frederick Stuckey who served in PA Somerset Light Infantry and was in the 4th and 2nd battalions.
Private F Stuckey regimental number 5738 , medal rolls QSA & KSA exist and I think he survived and returned home......Quite a coincidence, I wonder if they were related in any way?
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Druce Somerset Light Infantry 2 years 4 months ago #80312

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 767
Your great grandfather's unit spent the 24 January 1900, the battle of Spion Kop, at GPS -28.64532, 29.49441
If you put these coordinates into Google maps, it'll take you to the spot.
(I have picked up on that spot a cartridge case he may have fired; PM me and I'll post it to you).
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Druce

Druce Somerset Light Infantry 2 years 4 months ago #80329

• Druce
  • Druce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Could well be Dave F. I can't see any immediate family who fit the bill. Stuckey was quite a popular surname around the Somerset area but could be a cousin?

If it's of interest, as well as joining the military, my GG was a postman in Kingsbury Episcopi for a few years. There's a newspaper article about the villagers clubbing together to raise money to send tobacco and socks to the people of the parish who were serving in the war, as well as Fred. A copy of a letter was also sent which read: "Dear Friend – here we enclose you 2lbs of tobacco, a pipe, some cigarettes and two pairs of socks as a New Year’s present to you and which we hope will be acceptable to you. It has been collected and subscribed by people of the neighbourhood to show you that they think of their absent ones now fighting our battles in South Africa. The earnest wishes of all is that the war will soon be over, and that you will live to enjoy this; and also that you will have a safe return to Old England."

This was sent on 2nd January 1900.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.381 seconds