TOPIC:

1st Battalion East Lancashire Regiment 2 years 3 months ago #80205

• Peat
  • Peat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi, I am new to this forum,
I am interested in finding out more about the 1Batt East Lancashire Regiment, during the second Boer War.
My Great Grandfather Robert Toombs was a Reserve member from Warrenpoint Northern Ireland.
His Army number was Private 3984.
He was also in the 16th (Pioneer)Battalion Royal Irish Rifles during WW1.
If anyone has researched 1st Battalion East Lancashire during the Boer War or have any photos of the Battalion or can help in any way, I would really appreciate it.
Hope his photo is attached ok.
Rgs P

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1st Battalion East Lancashire Regiment 2 years 3 months ago #80206

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hello Peat
Welcome to the forum.
Here is a brief outline on the 1st Battalion East Lancashire regiment taken from this site.
I have also included your G G Grandfather's medal rolls incase you haven't got them.
It seems that 3984 R Toombs was reported missing in action on the 6th May 1900
( Missing on line of march) Actions around the 6th and 10th of May were probably Schippens Farm and the Zand River. He later rejoined his Battalion.

The 1st Battalion sailed on the Bavarian about 18th January 1900, and arrived at the Cape about 3rd February. Along with the 2nd Cheshire, 2nd South Wales Borderers, and 2nd North Staffordshire, they formed the 15th Brigade under Major General A G Wavell, and part of the VIIth Division under Lieutenant General Tucker. For notes as to general work of the division see 2nd Norfolk, and of the brigade see 2nd Cheshire.

The battalion was said to have done well at Karee Siding on 29th March 1900. They lost that day 5 men killed and 14 wounded. At the crossing of the Zand River on 10th May they also did their portion of the task well.

In Lord Roberts' final despatch 11 officers and 17 non-commissioned officers and men were mentioned.

In 1901 the battalion furnished the infantry of columns which operated in the Southern Transvaal and in the Orange River Colony under Brigadier General G Hamilton, Colonel Grey, Colonel Garratt, and others, and necessarily did a lot of very hard marching and had a good many little fights.

In 1902 the battalion assisted in holding a line of blockhouses near Vrede during the driving operations.

Three officers, 1 non-commissioned officer, and 1 private were mentioned in Lord Kitchener's despatches during the war, and 4 officers and 4 non-commissioned officers in his final despatch.

QSA & KSA medal rolls.

Best wishes

Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

1st Battalion East Lancashire Regiment 2 years 3 months ago #80212

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Welcome Peat,

There are a couple of picture of officer and NCOs from the East Lancs: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...ire-regiment?start=1

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

1st Battalion East Lancashire Regiment 2 years 3 months ago #80214

• Peat
  • Peat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks guys for your help really appreciate it.
I had copies of his medal rolls thanks Dave, but hadn't known he was missing in action on a line march which is interesting..it is even better to have a rough idea of where this happened.
I know they had some long marches and quite a few suffered from heat exhaustion.
I noticed on the photo he has been promoted to corporal. Is there any material available to see when he would have been promoted or even his enlistment.?
I am interested in trying to find out how my Grandfather from Warrenpoint in N. Ireland ends up in East Lancs.
I have also his miniatures and I think it's a cap badge but not sure.
Have any of you travelled to South Africa to see some of areas mentioned during the Boer War.?
Rgs P
Attachments:

1st Battalion East Lancashire Regiment 2 years 3 months ago #80216

• Dave F
I may be wrong, but I think the cap / collar badge may be to the 30th Cambridgeshire Regiment of Foot.

I personally haven't visited the SA battlefields, however, there are many members on this forum who have, and indeed reside in South Africa. You are certainly on the right forum to glean knowledge regarding your G Grandfather and his time in South Africa...... Good luck with your quest.
Best regards,
Dave

1st Battalion East Lancashire Regiment 2 years 3 months ago #80217

• Dave F
Hi Peat
He was promoted to Corporal whilst in the Royal Irish Rifles. He served in France and was awarded the 1914/ 15 star plus the War medal and Victory medal. He made rank of Sergeant.

Dave....
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.121 seconds